Another Neat Find During One of My Off Brand Quests!

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
Granby
Victor II
Personal Text: The Granby Phonograph Historian

Another Neat Find During One of My Off Brand Quests!

Post by Granby »

This keeps happening... :) On a recent road trip to acquire a unique off brand phonograph, my wife and I pulled into an antiques shop on the way.... as we had already been in the vehicle for TOO long. Plus, we knew they had restrooms in there, ;) . We enjoyed looking around as we collect other things, too [glassware, china, etc.] and I noticed this little "item" tucked on a bottom shelf of a large display cabinet behind vintage clothes and other mid-century items.

At first I thought it was just a lid, but when I slowly and carefully picked it up, I discovered the entire phonograph was underneath! My wife casually walked up and said, look - there is the key and some old "headphones," too. I looked over, surprised at her knowledge and interest, and said, good catch! She wandered off and continued looking. I expected to see a price of $400-500 plus, which, in my part of country, is pretty standard practice for any old "horn phonograph" of any type, condition, or size. I was shocked to see a price tag of only a small fraction of that! The vendor was having sale which dropped the price down even more! Needless to say, I grabbed it and brought it home.

So, the Granby guy stumbled on to another early phonograph for the collection! I am going to have an "eclectic" and, possibly confusing, collection one day! Someone is going to ask, why does this guy have these off brands sprinkled in this great collection. Maybe someone will say, I think it happened by accident? 8-)

Almost forgot... I am thrilled with my off brand, too. Another Granby for the mock showroom!

Feel free to help educate me a little. I believe this machine is the same as a Columbia Q, 2 minute cylinders only? I am guessing 1899 - 1905ish??? Thanks!
Attachments
LP Rep.jpg
LP Rep.jpg (78.22 KiB) Viewed 503 times
LP Open.jpg
LP Open.jpg (192.98 KiB) Viewed 503 times
LP with lid and key.jpg
- Chris
Licensed Funeral Director (NC/VA) Historian, Collector, Enthusiast.....

Author of: Norfolk's Greatest Home Furnishers: The Story of Phillip Levy & Co. and The Granby Phonograph

phonogfp
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: "If you look for the bad in people expecting to find it, you surely will." - A. Lincoln

Re: Another Neat Find During One of My Off Brand Quests!

Post by phonogfp »

Yes, it's a Type Q Graphophone sold for language study. No earlier than 1904. 2-minute records only. Nice find!

George P.

Inigo
Victor VI
Personal Text: Keep'em well oiled

Post by Inigo »

Wow!!!
Inigo

Roaring20s
Victor V
Personal Text: Those who were seen dancing were thought insane by those who could not hear the music. Nietzsche

Post by Roaring20s »

Very cool. It always pays to look, and to have a supportive partner!

James.

travisgreyfox
Victor IV

Post by travisgreyfox »

Very nice find!

Governor Flyball
Victor II

Post by Governor Flyball »

Did the Language Study phonograph/graphophone machines have the standard feed pitch for 100 per inch?

phonogfp
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: "If you look for the bad in people expecting to find it, you surely will." - A. Lincoln

Post by phonogfp »

Governor Flyball wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 9:47 pm Did the Language Study phonograph/graphophone machines have the standard feed pitch for 100 per inch?
Yes.

George P.

phonograph guy3435
Victor I
Personal Text: edison amberola guy

Post by phonograph guy3435 »

those are so cool! what did you get it for?

Benjamin_L
Victor III
Personal Text: Honk, honk.

Post by Benjamin_L »

What was the off brand?