LOCATED: Ideas on locating "Meet me in St Louis"

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
danohallaron
Victor O

LOCATED: Ideas on locating "Meet me in St Louis"

Post by danohallaron »

I have been invited to spin wax and amberols for a cocktail hour in July at the American Cut Glass Association Convention in St. Louis. I've never done anything like this, but I just plan to set up a couple of Triumphs and run through a list of cylinders. The only request I had from the Association was to open and close with "Meet me in St Louis (Louie Louie, meet me at the fair), as their theme is 1904 Worlds Fair related. I don't have it in my collection, so I'm looking for any ideas. I'd be glad to purchase it, borrow it or pay to have it recorded on wax...any ideas are much appreciated. The original is Meet Me in St Louis, Louis (Louie/Louie) Edison Gold Moulded 8722....I think there is also an Amberol, but haven't found it. Cross posting here in case anyone has an idea on who might record it, or frankly, any ideas on how to get this done.
Last edited by danohallaron on Sat May 04, 2024 12:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Roaring20s
Victor V
Personal Text: Those who were seen dancing were thought insane by those who could not hear the music. Nietzsche

Re: Ideas on locating "Meet me in St Louis"

Post by Roaring20s »

It's a desirable 2M cylinder, so it will hard to find quickly and/or cheaply.
You may need someone to record it onto a blank.

James.
:coffee:

danohallaron
Victor O

Post by danohallaron »

I'm perfectly willing to pay somebody to record it on a blank. Who will do it?

drh
Victor IV
Personal Text: A Pathé record...with care will live to speak to your grandchildren when they are as old as you are

Post by drh »

Note that you aren't restricted to Edison. Columbia also released the song, sung by Billy Murray, as cylinder 32488.

danohallaron
Victor O

Post by danohallaron »

That's great info. I'll add it to my search. Dan

MarkELynch
Victor II

Post by MarkELynch »

Don’t overlook i78s.org as a source or ideas for St Louis worlds fair recordings. The search “St Louis” will reveal several.

The Vess Ossman banjo cylinder “St Louis Tickle” is related to the fair and is more common than “Meet me is St Louis, Louis”

Best of luck with your presentation.

Mark

I78s.org is a free website where you can audition over 40,000 titles of historical recordings courtesy of sound historian David Giovannoni. Ask for your free user account. The sheet music covers below are also courtesy of i78s.org.
A1896AA7-D63B-48D7-A1A4-D3240BA959EE.jpeg
E8D6EF1A-BA3D-48C3-AD21-1BC1BE7FD977.jpeg

cleveland1996
Victor III

Post by cleveland1996 »

Might check 4-4 time..John has a lot of cylinder records listed

Granby
Victor II
Personal Text: The Granby Phonograph Historian

Post by Granby »

If your mission fails OR you run out of time, there is one last option. I have seen some TINY blue tooth speakers that have great sound. You could download a scratchy "period" sounding recording to your device and have it playing just before you begin your presentation, or as you are taking the stage/podium, etc. Simply have the "speaker" positioned behind your Edison and ready to play. You could begin the recording from several feet away and not draw too much attention.

For clarification, my proposal is to NOT be deceptive or trick people into thinking it is coming from the Edison. You could even announce the recording you downloaded after it plays. But, it is a "backup" plan that would be better than "nothing." Of course, like you and the others, I hope you find an original cylinder to play as the attendees would probably enjoy it a lot more....

I have actually utilized this technique as a way to give my phonographs a "break" from constant playing when I have been set up at festivals or "living history" events. I wait until I have a crowd or interested audience before I crank up the "real" thing...

Just thinking out loud.... 8-)

danohallaron
Victor O

Post by danohallaron »

Being a bit of an audiophile, I actually thought of this, lol.