Correct Parts For a Victor E Rear Mount

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
Jerry B.
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Stop for a visit when in Oregon.

Correct Parts For a Victor E Rear Mount

Post by Jerry B. »

Matt B. and I were talking about the correct parts for a rear mount Victor E. I have seen Victor E's with both the small Victor I size back bracket, tone arm, and elbow and the next size larger, the Victor II size parts. In my collection I have a Victor E that was purchased from descendants of the original owners. That machine has the small Victor I size parts. My question... Does anyone have a Victor E with Victor II size parts that they believe is 100% correct from original owners? Did Victor offer the Victor E with both sizes of hardware or does the variation come from recent owners. Collectors often take the path of least resistance when completing a machine and it muddies the collecting water. Thanks for your replies.

Jerry B.

JerryVan
Victor Monarch Special

Re: Correct Parts For a Victor E Rear Mount

Post by JerryVan »

Jerry,

All I can offer is that my rear mount Vic. E has about the same history as yours, and also has the small, Vic I sized, back bracket & tone arm. It was most likely never owned by a collector. It was discovered many years ago, hidden under a porch at a friend's cottage.

I would think that if the larger bracket/arm assembly were not correct, you would see evidence. I believe the larger bracket would have different spacing of its mounting holes and therefore added holes in the cabinet of the E, (assuming the cabinet was a rear mount style to begin with). If the bracket was added to a front mount E cabinet, there would be the telltale leftover holes from the front mount bracket. What you're seeking, essentially, is an E with one set of bracket mounting holes, spaced to accommodate a Vic II style bracket. Correct?

uncle-jimmy
Victor O

Re: Correct Parts For a Victor E Rear Mount

Post by uncle-jimmy »

Now this is interesting …. And Fun….I have often had the same thought.
There are several variables that must be determined concerning how a model E cabinet left the factory as far as position and diameters of the rear mount holes , and if those dimensions changed through the lifetime of the Model E.
Also what difference among the different back brackets , of that size , as far as hole spacing. And if the Factory diameter of holes in cabinet and brackets were larger enough , than the bolts , to allow wiggle room for mounting slightly different brackets .
Then there is the height of the tonearm over the turntable , depending on which back bracket is used.
These details can at least tell us how much modifying would be required to mount larger or newer back brackets to original E cabinets. I mean if someone drilled out holes to, ¾ inch diameter , he could do a lot of modifying.
Then I wonder about legitimate Dealer options…..