Today's Arrival!

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
phonogfp
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: "If you look for the bad in people expecting to find it, you surely will." - A. Lincoln

Today's Arrival!

Post by phonogfp »

APS001.jpg

AmberolaAndy
Victor V

Re: Today's Arrival!

Post by AmberolaAndy »

How appropriate. I’m getting a 1898 home soon! 😉

Still haven’t renewed. Just too many projects and so Little cash…

PeterF
Victor IV

Post by PeterF »

How about a shot of the table of contents, too, to help entice any fencesitters?

Phono-Phan
Victor V

Post by Phono-Phan »

Another GREAT issue!!!!

phonogfp
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: "If you look for the bad in people expecting to find it, you surely will." - A. Lincoln

Post by phonogfp »

PeterF wrote: Sat May 25, 2024 1:51 pm How about a shot of the table of contents, too, to help entice any fencesitters?
I tried to load it this morning but it wouldn't work. I gave up, but it's good now!
APS002.jpg

AllenKoe
Victor II

Post by AllenKoe »

Hi,

Always great to get another fascinating issue of AP and a great presentation of new details about our favorite machines. Is there any collector who does not dream of someday finding one of the first drawer-style Edison Home Phonographs of 1896? The beautiful gold, red & black decals on the lids still stun the imagination. The suggestion that the number of thin vertical lines just below the capital D can be used to date the sequential order of manufacture has still not caught on however... (i.e. the fewer, the older).

One often sees a brief reference to a "Waterbury manufacturer" as the source of the odd 2-spring brass motors, but almost never the name of the originating clock company that submitted it to Edison for phono-adaptation (jewels and all). Why is that when it could be pictured and found in their 1896 catalog (for clocks)? It originally ran for days.

A little Theremin music please...

... and congrats to all the authors and Nathan, the Editor.

Best
Allen

AllenKoe
Victor II

Post by AllenKoe »

It is not often (never?) noted that the two "diminutive" springs in the side-by-side clockwork motor were actually nine feet long and ⅝" wide.

The very first "switches" (combined on the string-drive mech) were only on-and-off and were very difficult to maintain in rpm. For a short time, the company provided a small piece of curved spring metal on/in the bedplate slot in order to repeat a previous (rpm) setting. Have any of those little "pressure guides" survived?

Allen