New Old Stock???

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
Zeppy
Victor III

New Old Stock???

Post by Zeppy »

Do ebay sellers ever tell the truth? Even with this cruddy picture, I can tell this isn't new old stock.

eBay Item #390022663561

You don't have to look further than the spindal hole to see these guys have taken more than one spin around the turn table (I'm not even going to mention the obvious flaws that can be seen from a mile away).

Oh well, I suppose when "rare" isn't enough, go with "new old stock"

:roll:

Neophone
Victor III

Re: New Old Stock???

Post by Neophone »

You will not find a stylus scratch on the runoff area on these records and that further verifies that they are dealer stock as most Edison record will show this trait if looked at closely.
Folks,

It looks like I have some dealer stock in my collection as well. ;) Hasn't this seller been selling these lots for a while now? This sounds familiar.

Regards,
John

Listening to the Victrola fifteen minutes a day will alter and brighten your whole life.
Use each needle only ONCE!

3victrolas
Victor O

Post by 3victrolas »

Humm, this reminds me, I actually do have an NOS DD. I'm planning on uploading a youtube video of it's first play on my C-200.
I'll let you know when I get this done. Yes, the difference between these DDs & and an NOS DD is striking.

Neophone
Victor III

Post by Neophone »

3victrolas wrote:Humm, this reminds me, I actually do have an NOS DD. I'm planning on uploading a youtube video of it's first play on my C-200.
I'll let you know when I get this done. Yes, the difference between these DDs & and an NOS DD is striking.
S.,

That sound great! I'm looking forward to seeing and hearing that.

Regards,
John

Listening to the Victrola fifteen minutes a day will alter and brighten your whole life.
Use each needle only ONCE!

WDC
Victor IV

Post by WDC »

Yeah, this looks more like old old stock! :lol:

I once had the opportunity to listen to a true NOS diamond disc being played its very first time. To be honest, I was somewhat disappointed. The sound was not better than any other DD in nice shape. However, it was a very interesting experience to have the chance to judge it personally.

Not NOS

Post by Not NOS »

If these were true NOS etched label DDs, they'd be in the original descriptive sleeves. DDs were never shipped without them. This seller tends to bend the truth in all of his auctions to begin with.

brianu
Victor V
Personal Text: on instagram as "oncedeadsound"

Post by brianu »

Not NOS wrote:If these were true NOS etched label DDs, they'd be in the original descriptive sleeves. DDs were never shipped without them. This seller tends to bend the truth in all of his auctions to begin with.
he's a nice enough guy, but yes, the descriptions tend to go on and on and on and on and on and often enough about various things aside from what he's actually selling... and yes, I've seen that photo before, I think he just uses the same one when selling these allegedly NOS records.

Phonolair
Victor III

Post by Phonolair »

From my experience no marks in the run off area only means they were played with a good reproducer and diamond stylus. A Edison Diamond Disk reproducer leaving marks on the run off area needs to have its diamond stylus changed. Or you could just save it and use it for etched label D.D. as most of them have poor sound quality anyway. It doesn't mater if they are N.O.S. or not. :?
Best regards, Larry

richardh

Post by richardh »

I am curious, how can you tell if you have a NOS disk? Did they come in sealed record covers? or is it just the lack of any needle trails on them?

RJ 8-)

Brad
Victor III
Personal Text: So many phonographs, so little money

Post by Brad »

RJ,

I am not sure you can tell for sure. Tom Hawthorn has been selling off a warehouse full of NOS DD's. Besides the surfaces looking real clean, there are no scuff marks around the spindle hole. The paper sleeves are intact, but not mint. He has claimed that some of these records have spindle scuff marks and attributes them to the dealer playing the record for prospective customers.

I have purchased a few of these and found, as mentioned either above or in another thread, that the sound is not that different from any other DD in good shape.

So I think is it pretty easy to determine that it is NOT new, and not so easy to determine that IS new. Once you play it, it is definitely not new.
Why do we need signatures when we are on a first avatar basis?