Dual Tone "King of Phonograph", Manor, Pa

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
bob27556
Victor I

Re: Dual Tone "King of Phonograph", Manor, Pa

Post by bob27556 »

Thats it! The attachment is also the same with the screw.

Sorry I haven't posted the photos yet. I'm also having computer issues.

Hopefully I'll be up and running again this weekend.

James
Victor I

Post by James »

Thank you Bob for confirming that it look the same, only they have different brand name.
I supposed, small phonograph maker and furniture manufacturer get motors, reproducer and other hardware to phonograph part manufacturer. Like the reproducer they had the brand name of their phonograph engraved, therefore I presumed our reproducer was made by the same company. My reproducer is from my double sided mahogany desk top phonograph, approximately 4 ft. long, 2 and ½ ft. wide with a knee hole at the middle so two person can use the desk, facing each other. A pull out drawer at one end for the phonograph, at the opposite end is a door for the internal horn. It have four claw feet. Indeed very attractive, no doubt it was custom ordered, through a well trained cabinet maker.

Jim

bob27556 wrote:Thats it! The attachment is also the same with the screw.

Sorry I haven't posted the photos yet. I'm also having computer issues.

Hopefully I'll be up and running again this weekend.

Re: Dual Tone "King of Phonograph", Ma

Post by Guest »

james my great uncle made these type dual tones in manor pa i have one of the very 1st ones made you can call me and i will fill you in on its makings scott cox 724-217-3100

James
Victor I

Re: Dual Tone "King of Phonograph", Ma

Post by James »

Guest wrote:james my great uncle made these type dual tones in manor pa i have one of the very 1st ones made you can call me and i will fill you in on its makings scott cox 724-217-3100

Here are some photos of the Dual Tone, after restoration.
Attachments
048.JPG
046.JPG
040.JPG
038.JPG
034.JPG
030.JPG
001.JPG

alang
VTLA
Personal Text: TMF Moderator

Post by alang »

That's a very handsome machine in a very nice room. And the cat likes it as well. :lol:
Great job
Andreas

phonogfp
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: "If you look for the bad in people expecting to find it, you surely will." - A. Lincoln

Post by phonogfp »

Very nice! And how curious that the metal ID tag would be mounted on the front outer surface of the cabinet.

That's a nice example of an off-brand that is interesting aesthetically and "technologically" (although I doubt much technology went into the design of that tone arm!). Thanks for posting this.

George P.

VintageTechnologies
Victor IV

Post by VintageTechnologies »

Either you played "Three Blind Mice" or you hid some tuna in the cabinet! :P

bob27556
Victor I

Post by bob27556 »

Beautiful job James and i like the room as well. My Dual Tone is in original condition, heavily alligatored and has no gold plating. The data plate is mounted on the left rear of the motor board.

I'm very curious, did you contact Scott to get more info about the company?

Bob

James
Victor I

Post by James »

Hi Bob.

I finally finished my reseach on the Dualtone phonograph. It is complete as far as the information are available. It will be a good read, It is antitcipated to be published on November 2012, at the Canadian Antique Phonogragh Society. News-Letter, you can read it at the internet, so if you are interested check.

James

bob27556 wrote:James,

Glad to hear of another DualTone owner! I have an original soundbox with the DualTone name and patent number on it (1392677). Look up the patent and it shouild show the sound box shape: a pentagon with clipped corners. I have photos and will post them when I can. Life is insanely busy at the moment. The motor is 'The Motor of Quality' which was used in many off brand machines. Ortho Fan, thanks for posting the patent on the tone arm. I've had no luck in finding any info on the company that made this machine.

I bid on this machine for it's gimmicky tone arm and and far as I'm concerned thats all it is: a gimmick. But the machine sounds surprisingly good! I attribute that to a mica diaphragm in excess of 2 inches in diameter; not the split arm. I really enjoy listening to this machine. The data plate is conventionally located at the rear of the motor board, not on the exterior

Very happy to share info and photos with you about this machine. Hopefully I can find some time this weekend to upload some photos.

Bob

James
Victor I

Re: Dual Tone "King of Phonograph"

Post by James »

Guest wrote:james my great uncle made these type dual tones in manor pa i have one of the very 1st ones made you can call me and i will fill you in on its makings scott cox 724-217-3100

Scott,

Finally its complete. You can read the generation of Cox family who are associated, when the business is running, :( :( unfortunately, it was a short run :( you can read it at the Canadian Antique Phonograph Society, News Letter in the internet.

James