Dual Tone "King of Phonograph", Manor, Pa

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
SquireWill
Victor O

Re: Dual Tone "King of Phonograph", Manor, Pa

Post by SquireWill »

bob27556 wrote:James,

Glad to hear of another DualTone owner! I have an original soundbox with the DualTone name and patent number on it (1392677). Look up the patent and it shouild show the sound box shape: a pentagon with clipped corners. I have photos and will post them when I can. Life is insanely busy at the moment. The motor is 'The Motor of Quality' which was used in many off brand machines. Ortho Fan, thanks for posting the patent on the tone arm. I've had no luck in finding any info on the company that made this machine.

I bid on this machine for it's gimmicky tone arm and and far as I'm concerned thats all it is: a gimmick. But the machine sounds surprisingly good! I attribute that to a mica diaphragm in excess of 2 inches in diameter; not the split arm. I really enjoy listening to this machine. The data plate is conventionally located at the rear of the motor board, not on the exterior

Very happy to share info and photos with you about this machine. Hopefully I can find some time this weekend to upload some photos.

Bob
If you read the text of the patent, they reveal the theory of the tone arm. Says tones even previously inaudible may be reproduced. Believable? I dunno.

James
Victor I

Post by James »

My article the DUAL TONE phonograph can be read online through google at 2012-2011 Canadian Antique Phonograph Society. November-December issue.

James wrote:
James wrote:Last summer I acquired a DUAL TONE 'king of phonograph', manufactures at Manor, Pa. What's unusual is the tone arm. It have one base screwed on the motor board, then split into two barrel tone arm, the the two baerrels join back into one, and loop to the left to hold one reproducer. All the hardware could be brass and was gold plated. Unfortunately it have the wrong reproducer. I wonder what the reproducer look like. Any information is appreciated.

James

Here are pictures of the Dual Tone Phonograph.
I hope I will get some comments and help with the reproducer now that I post the pictures.

Thanks,

James

bob27556
Victor I

Post by bob27556 »

James,

Thanks for the article you wrote about the Dualtone. It was great to learn some history of this machine. I apologize for being so late but here's some photos of mine. The cabinets are very different.

bob27556
Victor I

Post by bob27556 »

bob27556
Victor I

Post by bob27556 »

bob27556
Victor I

Post by bob27556 »

SonnyPhono
Victor III
Personal Text: Drawing a blank...

Post by SonnyPhono »

Interesting machines. I agree that the dual tonearm makes them more interesting than your typical off brand phonograph. These types of gimmicky designs were all over the place in the phonograph industry. Here is example of another interesting design of an aftermarket accessory on a machine near me. This is a Victrola VV-IX with a tone arm and dual reproducer system produced and sold by another company claiming it would double the volume.
IMG_2568.JPG
IMG_2569.JPG
IMG_2603.JPG

estott
Victor Monarch
Personal Text: I have good days...this might not be one of them

Post by estott »

That isn't an aftermarket accessory, its the arm off of an English Duophone. Their theory was that the soundbox with the short needle bar reproduced the high frequencies, the other the low frequencies. The double arm stopped abruptly at the horn neck.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Lad6bgz1FI[/youtube]

kirtley2012
Victor IV
Personal Text: Buyer of broken things

Post by kirtley2012 »

I quite like duophones, I have a duophone record but unfortunately not a machine, they dont seem to turn up that often!

FloridaClay
Victor VI

Post by FloridaClay »

estott wrote:That isn't an aftermarket accessory, its the arm off of an English Duophone. Their theory was that the soundbox with the short needle bar reproduced the high frequencies, the other the low frequencies. The double arm stopped abruptly at the horn neck.
And an amusing record, Estott.

Clay
Arthur W. J. G. Ord-Hume's Laws of Collecting
1. Space will expand to accommodate an infinite number of possessions, regardless of their size.
2. Shortage of finance, however dire, will never prevent the acquisition of a desired object, however improbable its cost.