Featured Phonograph: Victor Chippendale No. 2 Period Model

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
Garret
Victor IV

Featured Phonograph: Victor Chippendale No. 2 Period Model

Post by Garret »

So, I may as well fess up. I am the owner of this fine phonograph that was posted back in January. I didn't think it was fair to ask about insurance value without at least posting some better pictures at some point. Well, here they are - finally!

This Victrola came out of an old mansion in Baltimore which was being sectioned into apartments, at least according to the lady I bought it from on craigslist! Which, this particular Victrola had been on craigslist for a couple days before I managed to spot it. I was surprised it was still available, and couldn't believe it when the lady read the name and numbers to me from the data plate!

Maker: VTMCo
Model: VV- Chippendale – No. 2
Serial # 505
Years: 1918-1924
Original Cost: $350
Case/Cabinet size: about 46“ H x 23 “ L x 22“ W
Turntable/Mandrel Size: 12"/four-spring standard Burton motor
Reproducer/Soundbox: No. 2
Horn Dimensions: Standard Victrola horn
Repro Parts: None
Current Value Mint: ? It's so rare!
Interesting Facts: This cabinet has two small back doors to give access to resistors for an electric motor. However, this machine is crank.
Favorite Characteristic: The side columns and the two sets of needle cups! The carving is pretty neat, too.

antique1973
Victor IV
Personal Text: Victor Z, Victrola 4-3

Re: Featured Phonograph: Victor Chippendale No. 2 Period Model

Post by antique1973 »

Nice machine Garret! Thanks for sharing. I did not notice the column carvings
along the length of the cabinet before. Very cool!

Starkton
Victor IV

Post by Starkton »

I also like the columns, especially because of its decent appearance. Although the claw feet match the style better I could have imagined the straight-line "Jacobean" feet for your machine.

Ampico66
Victor I

Post by Ampico66 »

Wow. I think you've won for "Best Craigslist Find Ever" I think all of us on the group LOVED seeing those photos and are green with envy! - - I picked up a VIctrola Revere on Craigslist in 2008, then another Revere 2 days ago. The first Revere I re-sold to another collector, but this one I may keep. I've also found a Victrola 230 in walnut, Victrola 330 in mahogany, Victrola X "Spider Leg" with Improved Concert reproducer, Victrola XVII, and Credenza. Unfortunately the 230 and 330 were gutted, but I was able to retrofit other Victrola parts or have made the parts that were missing.

It's odd how many rare machines we find compared to the number of Victrola X and XI models in mahogany that are out there. I've seen about 1 in 10 Victor phonographs on Craigslist are something decent or special, where 9 out of 10 are an X or XI in mahogany.

Damon
St. Louis, MO

Garret
Victor IV

Post by Garret »

Thank you! Honestly, craigslist takes a lot of patience, but there are some great machines out there. In fact, this is the second period model to show up on the Washington D.C./Baltimore craigslist in as many years. I was away at College and missed the last one!

It sounds like you have had some fine finds as well. The Revere isn't exactly a common machine by any standards, and to find two is something quite exceptional. Did you ever post pictures of your 230 in walnut? I'd love to see them if you haven't!

I can't say that it's odd to find 1 rare or scarce machine out of 10 or so. I mean, Victor made almost 8 million phonographs by the time production wrapped up in the very late 20s, of which well over 1.3 million were Xs and XIs. The collectors are pursuing the cream of the crop, or that top 10%. In that context, it makes sense. Of course, the truly rare, such as machines like these, account for fractions of a percentage of production.

Best,

Garret

Retrograde
Victor III

Post by Retrograde »

Garret wrote:Honestly, craigslist takes a lot of patience
so does answering bogus "what's it worth" for insurance purposes questions. :monkey:

oh by the way, it's a nice machine, glad to hear it's not for sale, and I hope you enjoy it for a long time. I know I would.

Garret
Victor IV

Post by Garret »

Retrograde wrote:
Garret wrote:Honestly, craigslist takes a lot of patience
so does answering bogus "what's it worth" for insurance purposes questions. :monkey:

oh by the way, it's a nice machine, glad to hear it's not for sale, and I hope you enjoy it for a long time. I know I would.
I really did need an insurance value, and I needed an unbiased response.

Thanks to all who left their compliments!

Valecnik
Victor VI
Personal Text: Edison Records - Close your eyes and see if the artist does not actually seem to be before you.

Post by Valecnik »

Wow nice find Garrett. Thanks for posting. I'd be interested to see some pictures of the motor if you are able. I'm sure others would too.

Regards,
Valecnik