Info on Aeolian Vocalion Style 1644

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
JohnJC
Victor Jr

Info on Aeolian Vocalion Style 1644

Post by JohnJC »

I have a non-working but complete Aeolian Vocalion Style 1644-1 as marked on the back label. Unlike ones I have seen this is kind of a "double-wide" with the left side having storage with a pull out draw. It has the knowb under the hatch which I think is tone and the cord that pulls out which I think is volume. Any information would be appreciated, such is it worth having fixed up and if so, how do you find someone. I also have about a dozen records too. Thought about trying to spin it and get some sound out of it. Cranking the works spins that side of the motor but not the spinde. Any information or leads would be appreciated. I have searched but can't find anything.

JohnM
Victor V

Re: Info on Aeolian Vocalion Style 1644

Post by JohnM »

Not familiar specifically with the 1644, but that cabinet style is called a 'lowboy', and that style was popular between 1921-1924. Aeolian-Vocalions are nicely made machines produced by a second-tier manufacturer. There isn't a tremendous amount of collector interest in most lowboy models because of the large footprint of the cabinets. Also, most were produced at a time in the development of the phonograph when there was little innovation, so many models, even by first-tier manufacturers such as Victor, Edison, and Columbia tend to be a bit on the 'ordinary' side.
There are a number of skilled repairman capable of overhauling the motor and repairing what sounds like a broken mainspring. The reproducer should also be rebuilt as well. Caution is urged as the cost of repairs can easily exceed the value of the phonograph.
"All of us have a place in history. Mine is clouds." Richard Brautigan

gramophoneshane
Victor VI

Post by gramophoneshane »

JJC, I'm not familiar with the 1644 either, but Aeolian used motors made by Thorens of Switzerland, so parts are generally easy to obtain. The cord which pulls out is indeed a volume control, which Aeolian called the Graduola tone control that was patented in 1916 & used on many Aeolian Vocalion models until the end of production in the late 20s/early 30s.
If at all possible, perhaps you could post a picture or 2 of your machine. Aeolian produced a range of decorative & expensive art model consoles, so there is a chance your console is one of these.
A picture might help in identifying your machine, and provide a future reference to just what the Style 1644 is. Unfortunately, many machines turn up without any form of model designation attached to them, and even original advertising often failed to state a model number for machines they showed.
Just be aware the the tonearm used on these machines were die-cast pot metal which becomes fragile with age, and due the the design Aeolian used they can be easily damaged if they receive a hard knock or you try to force anything.
George Vollema of Great Lakes Antique Phonographs should be able to help with the motor restoration.

http://www.victroladoctor.com/

And here's a link to an original operation & maintainance manual which is basically the same for all Aeolian machines, in case you haven't seen it yet. It could be helpful once your machine is up & running.

http://www.nipperhead.com/old/aeolian.htm

larryh
Victor IV

Post by larryh »

I almost hate to comment on the case description after reading this thread, but here goes anyway.. I have collected and been around phonographs since the late 40's and so far the style in reference materials and among other collectors in this part of the country have always referred to them as "consoles".. I have almost never heard them called Lowboys that I can recall. Aeolian made some great art cabinet models, but I have no clue as to the numbers of them. My great grandfathers machine was an Aeolian on my grandmothers side which I played as a child, it was however a simple table model with matching record cabinet. Don' t see near as many of them here about as other brands.

JohnM
Victor V

Post by JohnM »

Okay, they are also called 'consoles', although I don't use the term myself unless I'm referring to stereo hi-fi double/triple/quadruple cabinets from the 60's-70's (like my big Barzilay that is as big as an aircraft carrier). Every collector that I know personally uses the term 'lowboy', and would not be baffled as to what was being referred if they heard it. Although I am a stickler for concise and correct communication, I don't have a stick so far up my *** that I don't realize that language is a fluid thing. Potato/potahto. Tempest in a teapot that has revealed deeper-seated resentments.

Now would someone please tell the OP about the Graduola feature on his lowboy/console?
"All of us have a place in history. Mine is clouds." Richard Brautigan

OrthoFan
Victor V

Post by OrthoFan »

JohnM wrote: Now would someone please tell the OP about the Graduola feature on his lowboy/console?
This would probably be of use -- http://www.nipperhead.com/old/aeolian.htm (Click on the thumbnail images to make them full size for viewing/printing.)
Last edited by OrthoFan on Mon May 16, 2011 4:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

larryh
Victor IV

Post by larryh »

My grandfathers model also had the graduola feature. The machine was broken by a neighbor and before I was very old was given away to may dismay. So I never really saw in insides of the machine. But the feature from what I recall was a long tube that was made to pull out the front and would possibly give a listen in a near by seat a way to change the volume without getting up. My guess is that it worked a sort of slide across the horn throat similar to other that pull a lever from the side. It was a gimmick at best but may have appealed to some listeners. The tube contained a wire that when you pulled the knob on the end of the handle outward reduced the volume.

If your spring is turning on only one side and the spindle is not moving then most likely you have a common broken spring and its only allowing one side of the barrel to try and wind and the other is simply slipping or not turning. You will have to have it fixed before it will play.

Larry

gramophoneshane
Victor VI

Post by gramophoneshane »

Actually Larry, the Graduola devise consisted of a cone shaped valve which was connected to the Bowden cable. This lifted & lowered the cone into the throat of the tonearm, much like turning a water tap on & off. It was a little more complex than most volume controls of the day, designed by one of my convict cobbers, and they can be a pita to dismantle & reassemble :)

larryh
Victor IV

Post by larryh »

Ok, I settled this from Aeolians stand point at least on the term used then for the machine style.. I just searched it on ebay and found the ad that I had put up on the old group for some fancy models. In the ad it states that the machines come in many table and "console" styles. That goes with what I have always found or heard. It may be as some have mentioned, various parts of the country call different things by different names. Where I am a soda is a can of coke, I ordered one in another state one time and they said a soda to them was with ice cream and what I wanted was a "Pop".. Not here!
"

larryh
Victor IV

Post by larryh »

gramophoneshane wrote:Actually Larry, the Graduola devise consisted of a cone shaped valve which was connected to the Bowden cable. This lifted & lowered the cone into the throat of the tonearm, much like turning a water tap on & off. It was a little more complex than most volume controls of the day, designed by one of my convict cobbers, and they can be a pita to dismantle & reassemble :)
Well as I mentioned I was guessing at the way in which it worked I never got into the inner working of that machine. Funny that in the ad I just mentioned it talks about the "only machine which allows the owner to "shade the music" to color the effect to his individual taste or mood. Sound like more than a volume control but I doubt it was anything actually more.