IX Spring question

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
MemoryJack
Victor Jr

IX Spring question

Post by MemoryJack »

Just finished rewinding the springs in my IX. Both springs were wound counter clockwise, so I rewound them the same way. The motor functions silently now and seems to run well, but I am concerned that one of the springs should have been wound clockwise (possibly wound incorrectly sometime in the past). Since this is a common victrola I am hoping someone can verify that this is correct ? Any help appreciated.

antique1973
Victor IV
Personal Text: Victor Z, Victrola 4-3

Re: IX Spring question

Post by antique1973 »

MemoryJack wrote:Just finished rewinding the springs in my IX. Both springs were wound counter clockwise, so I rewound them the same way. The motor functions silently now and seems to run well, but I am concerned that one of the springs should have been wound clockwise (possibly wound incorrectly sometime in the past). Since this is a common victrola I am hoping someone can verify that this is correct ? Any help appreciated.

In the earlier IX motor with the two separate spring barrels, both springs wind in the same direction. If you got one backwards,
it would be very apparent since the motor would not wind properly. Sounds like it all turned out ok.

MemoryJack
Victor Jr

Post by MemoryJack »

I couldn't imagine it working any other way, but I keep reading that 2 spring machines usually have one spring wound opposite the other.
Thanks for confirming.

antique1973
Victor IV

Post by antique1973 »

MemoryJack wrote:I couldn't imagine it working any other way, but I keep reading that 2 spring machines usually have one spring wound opposite the other.
Thanks for confirming.

There are two primary versions of the 2 spring Victor motor. One with 2 individual barrels (springs winding in the same direction)
and the single barrel with springs winding in opposing directions. Your machine should have the early version with 2 separate barrels.
Attachments
04252011728.jpg
11242010445.jpg

estott
Victor Monarch
Personal Text: I have good days...this might not be one of them

Post by estott »

The way I see it is, in the version with two barrels the springs work together to give you greater power and the barrel turns slower so you get longer running time. With two springs in one barrel they work more like one spring, again with longer running time.

MemoryJack
Victor Jr

Post by MemoryJack »

yep, here is mine. I have notice that the barrel with the turntable gear turns at a slower rate that the other. Is this normal, or does it indicate that the spring is unhooked in the center ? (This seems like a silly question, and I feel like I should know the answer without asking). I have a dual spring Brunswick also, but both springs are in a single barrel, so the thought has never entered my mind.
Attachments
IXsprings.JPG
IXsprings.JPG (210.03 KiB) Viewed 2039 times

antique1973
Victor IV

Post by antique1973 »

MemoryJack wrote:yep, here is mine. I have notice that the barrel with the turntable gear turns at a slower rate that the other. Is this normal, or does it indicate that the spring is unhooked in the center ? (This seems like a silly question, and I feel like I should know the answer without asking). I have a dual spring Brunswick also, but both springs are in a single barrel, so the thought has never entered my mind.

Actually that's a good question. This is my interpretation:

The barrel with the gear is tied to the steady speed of the spindle so it must
turn at a set rate. The other barrel serves as a power reserve that works in
tandem with the geared barrel. The rate at which it turns is mainly a function
of the unfurling spring inside and as a result it may turn at irregular rates.

If the motor winds up completely and the secondary barrel is turning while the
motor is running, it sounds like everything is ok.

Funny that you mentioned detached springs. I have overhauled several early motors like
yours and the springs tend to detach from the center axle quite often. I make a habit
of tightening up the center coil with pliers if I have any reason to believe
the grip on the axle is not good and tight.

MemoryJack
Victor Jr

Post by MemoryJack »

I think that is a sound explanation. All the videos I can find on you tube show the springs turning at a different rate during
the winding and unwinding process. I'm not sure my barrel with the gear attached turns at all during the winding process.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=og3_aP4M9J0

Henry
Victor V

Post by Henry »

FYI, the springs on my XI unwind exactly as described above: one steady, the other irregular. I get over eight minutes of tt spin from each complete wind-up, so I believe that everything is functioning normally.