How the pro's wind a mainspring

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
gramophoneshane
Victor VI

Re: How the pro's wind a mainspring

Post by gramophoneshane »

The frame is the part marked "A". Well, the rods marked A, but is part of the frame :)

Amberola 1-A
Victor II

Post by Amberola 1-A »

Brad wrote:I think they should be positioned such that the winding shaft "B" passes through the "Vee" opening and then they would be positioned side to side to hold the spring from side to side.
Brad,

I believe that is exactly what those V armatures are for. There are 2 set screws at the base of each V arm and I imagine you would slide them in close to each side of the spring and tighten them to keep it from pushing out on either side as you wound it on the upper shaft. It is quite possible that the B marked shaft originally was positioned inside of the Vs on either side and at some point the winder was disassembled. After all, the crank handle is on backwards.

:clover:
Check with your dealer for the latest Edison Records!

Steve
Victor VI
Location: London, Paris, Amsterdam, Berlin, New York, Evesham

Post by Steve »

Okay....

But what was the winder used for, assuming that you can wind a spring onto 'B' as everyone believes it to be? Was it for taking a spring out of the barrel? Can it be used in reverse to feed a spring back in, in a "controlled" and safe manner?

If it's none of these, what's the winder for? How did they produce springs in the first place and were they simply wound off a huge "sprung coil" in the factory until the required length was obtained and then cut off the main "roll" etc?

Brad
Victor III
Personal Text: So many phonographs, so little money

Post by Brad »

Steve,

I don't think it was used to insert or remove a spring from a barrel. The side to side retaining bars "E" would have to be moved in order to introduce or remove a barrel. Looking at it, there would have to be sufficient side to side room for both the spring and barrel. The retaining stub on "B" is in the center and the side to side retainers are such that they are "set and forget". There would have to be too much "futzing" to get move everything to get a barrel in or out.

I believe that this tool was just used to wind a spring and wire (or clamp it) it wound for installation into a barrel at a later time.
Why do we need signatures when we are on a first avatar basis?

Phonolair
Victor III

Post by Phonolair »

Brad wrote:I don't think it was used to insert or remove a spring from a barrel. The side to side retaining bars "E" would have to be moved in order to introduce or remove a barrel. Looking at it, there would have to be sufficient side to side room for both the spring and barrel. The retaining stub on "B" is in the center and the side to side retainers are such that they are "set and forget". There would have to be too much "futzing" to get move everything to get a barrel in or out.
As Mordeth pointed out earlier the large thumb screw on the end of the winding shaft would quickly and easily allow the winding shaft to be pulled out and pushed in so a spring barrel could be put on or taken off with little effort. Its very possible it was used for both winding and tying or putting a spring in a barrel.
One thing that has not been mentioned is the way the anti wind dog and gear are set now the crank could only be turned counter clockwise.
Best Regards, Larry

Brad
Victor III
Personal Text: So many phonographs, so little money

Post by Brad »

Hi Larry,

I hear what you are saying but I am not sure. To install a spring in a barrel would require:

-Winding and tying the spring.
-Lossening the thumbscrew on "B"
-Lossening the two retaining screws on "E"
-sliding the spring and "B" and right most sider retainer "E" as far right as possible
-Sliding the left most side retainer "E" left, then swinging it out of the way
-feeding the barrel over "B" and somehow getting the spring in to the barrel (maybe this is where the clamps come in???
-disengaging "B" from the spring so you can get the finished barrel out.

The tool does not seem set up for that.

Anyway, we have probably overanalyzed this thing to death :D Though, speculating is always fun!

Probably someone has to try to know for sure.
Why do we need signatures when we are on a first avatar basis?