Machine transparencies (phonographs/parts/etc.)

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
richardh

Re: Machine transparencies (phonographs/parts/etc.)

Post by richardh »

Bruce,

that Ideal is fantastic! That mottled finish on the bedplate is great and the horn..well the condition is excellent. :D

Nice to have a machine with an "O" reproducer too. I had one of those reproducers once........

RJ 8-)

MordEth
Victor IV
Personal Text: Contact me for TMF tech support.

Post by MordEth »

It’s been a while since I’ve posted a machine transparency, so here is a Columbia BI Disc Gramophone, or ‘Sterling’ in the U.S. and ‘Regal’ in Britain and Europe, from Steve’s photograph library:

I’ll attempt to solicit him to reply with more information about this machine; I know next to nothing about Columbia’s products, and as you may guess, the model and naming information are courtesy of Steve. :D

— MordEth

Proudly supporting phonograph discussion boards, hosting phonograph sites and creating phonograph videos since 2007.
Need web hosting or web (or other graphic) design? Support MordEth by using BaseZen Consulting for all of your IT consulting needs.
Want more phonograph discussion? Be sure to visit The Online Edison Phonograph Discussion Board.

Steve
Victor VI
Location: London, Paris, Amsterdam, Berlin, New York, Evesham

Post by Steve »

I'm not sure what I can say about this machine really?

It dates from approx. 1908 (I believe?) and it was the "middle-of-the-range" machine making it one of the most popular models. The Imperial and the Majestic were the better models with the latter having a triple spring motor whilst both models shared the same rounded cornered mahogany case. The BI has a double-spring motor and "Analyzing" reproducer / soundbox. Some of these are fitted with a volume control valve to the rear but not on this particular example. The horn is nickel plated brass and the tone-arm is uniquely aluminium. Columbia were the only makers to produce an all aluminium tone-arm, presumably for lightness?

HTH

Steve

MordEth
Victor IV
Personal Text: Contact me for TMF tech support.

Post by MordEth »

Steve,

Thanks for the information on the machine. Ironically enough when I was trying to look into your question about the manufacture of springs, I found a page belonging to one of our other members citing it as a favorite phonograph.

Apparently it is a very coincidental morning. :D

— MordEth

Proudly supporting phonograph discussion boards, hosting phonograph sites and creating phonograph videos since 2007.
Need web hosting or web (or other graphic) design? Support MordEth by using BaseZen Consulting for all of your IT consulting needs.
Want more phonograph discussion? Be sure to visit The Online Edison Phonograph Discussion Board.