Machine transparencies (phonographs/parts/etc.)

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
MordEth
Victor IV
Personal Text: Contact me for TMF tech support.

Re: Machine transparencies (phonographs/parts/etc.)

Post by MordEth »

It’s been a while since I’ve posted a machine in here, and so I wanted to share this one with you, particularly since I have not done that many Edison phonographs.

Here is an Edison Ideal from Valecnik’s collection:

Enjoy!

— MordEth

Proudly supporting phonograph discussion boards, hosting phonograph sites and creating phonograph videos since 2007.
Need web hosting or web (or other graphic) design? Support MordEth by using BaseZen Consulting for all of your IT consulting needs.
Want more phonograph discussion? Be sure to visit The Online Edison Phonograph Discussion Board.

Valecnik
Victor VI
Personal Text: Edison Records - Close your eyes and see if the artist does not actually seem to be before you.

Re: Machine transparencies (phonographs/parts/etc.) Edison Ideal

Post by Valecnik »

Here is some info re. the Ideal:

It's pretty easy to date this one. As many of us Edison geeks will know, according to George Frow's excellent book it was offered as the "Ideal" for about two months at the end of 1907. After that the name was changed to "Idelia" and offered into ~1911 in various forms until it was superceded by the Opera & Amberola 1. The price was $125 or in the UK about 26 pounds (which for those of you who follow exchange rates indicates what's happened to the dollar).

This one actually says "Ideal" on both the SN plate and on the horn. It has been later upgraded with the large carriage and "O" reproducer and 2/4 minute gearing. It would have originally had a model C two minute reproducer. All in all a nice machine.

Cheers, Valecnik

MordEth
Victor IV

Post by MordEth »

It’s been a while since I posted a machine transparency (which you can also find in the stock avatar gallery), so here is a Victor VI from Bill’s collection, which I got to see and hear at the MOCAPS meeting discussed in this thread.

I have a couple of other half-finished cut outs that hopefully I’ll have up in the near future, and hopefully we can continue to hear a bit about the machines from their owners.

Enjoy.

— MordEth

Proudly supporting phonograph discussion boards, hosting phonograph sites and creating phonograph videos since 2007.
Need web hosting or web (or other graphic) design? Support MordEth by using BaseZen Consulting for all of your IT consulting needs.
Want more phonograph discussion? Be sure to visit The Online Edison Phonograph Discussion Board.

Valecnik
Victor VI
Personal Text: Edison Records - Close your eyes and see if the artist does not actually seem to be before you.

Post by Valecnik »

Very nice Victor 6 Bill. Is that a black linenoid horn you've got there? I think they fit a Victor VI very nicely. On a IV they look a bit overwhelming. I got one on a MS of all things.

Amberola 1-A
Victor II

Post by Amberola 1-A »

Valecnik wrote:Very nice Victor 6 Bill. Is that a black linenoid horn you've got there? I think they fit a Victor VI very nicely. On a IV they look a bit overwhelming. I got one on a MS of all things.
Thanks, Bruce. Actually it's painted mahogany brown to match the cabinet. As and aside, the company is still in business, and makes of all things the paper for our money here in the U.S. They are located in the western part of Massachusetts (Dalton) and have been in business since the late 1700s!!
BTW, amazing job as always David!!! Thanks!

:clover:
Check with your dealer for the latest Edison Records!

Amberola 1-A
Victor II

Post by Amberola 1-A »

Bruce, I just scrolled up to your IDEAL...............yikes!!! Gorgeous!!! Is the O oxidized too?

Check with your dealer for the latest Edison Records!

Henri Laforge
Victor Jr

Post by Henri Laforge »

Mr. Mordeth,

Very clever making of the transparency. It is now so easy to drop the perfect resized transparency into a photoshop photo and onto to my living room table so now I can have Bill's Victor VI in my collection too.

Thank you Bill your machine and rare horn have a new home too.

Regards to all,

Henri

MordEth
Victor IV

Post by MordEth »

Henri,

I was discussing with Bill earlier (after he commented about using the background I made for his YouTube channel as wallpaper on his computer) that I should do something with sheet music from the shellac era as a backdrop for some of these cut-out machines for wallpaper images.

Since he’s recorded that machine for YouTube, you can also see and hear it in action, as well:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pmqhknYDdu0[/youtube]
Now if the Columbia Grafonola logo I am working on cutting out wasn’t so tedious... ;)

— MordEth

Valecnik
Victor VI

Post by Valecnik »

Amberola 1-A wrote:Bruce, I just scrolled up to your IDEAL...............yikes!!! Gorgeous!!! Is the O oxidized too?

Thanks, The reproducer is oxidised but it's an O bottom with a new repro top. I had a guy oxidise it. I have a nice original brass O that's nickel plated but I didn't want to take off the original nickel to oxidise it.

antiquekid3
Victor Jr

Post by antiquekid3 »

MordEth wrote: Now if the Columbia Grafonola logo I am working on cutting out wasn’t so tedious... ;)

— MordEth

Hrm...now what could you mean by that...?! :D Thanks David!!