What would you pay for an Edison W-19?

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
Major_Dundee
Victor Jr

What would you pay for an Edison W-19?

Post by Major_Dundee »

Hi all,

I've been casually looking for an Edison W-19 and found one that really looks nice. It is minus a grill (found one online for $125). It appears to be missing the original door knob (he has a glass one, but it looks like it may have come from another Edison machine). The seller seems very nice. He said he bought the machine 25 years ago and has been covered up for the last 20. Here are my concerns:
1) He said it was cleaned and he put tape over the label (see below). I'm OK with this if I can clean the label to match the original color. I've read where the Edison labels are under the shellac/varnish. I'm not as concerned about the Dealer label which will probably come off. Does this look like it was cleaned around or stripped down and refinishes around the label. (see picture below).
2) I see this one has a light. I have see a console model on ebay which had a light like this. Is this something that Edison may have put on towards the end of the 1920's or an after market add on.
3) What do you think it's worth? I know this is varible question, but I'm trying to get a ballpark figure on "fair market value" I just saw one on ebay that had the grill for $325 which I thought was a great price, but unfortunatelly in Minnesota. Way too far with me. This one comes with only 1 record, so no added value here. Reproducer does play. I have not physically seen this machine, so I can only go by pictures.
Attachments
williamnmary3.jpg
williamnmary3.jpg (23.73 KiB) Viewed 1549 times
williamnmary8.jpg
williamnmary5.jpg

OrthoFan
Victor V

Re: What would you pay for an Edison W-19?

Post by OrthoFan »

I think the price is good, for what you're getting. The parts, alone, would be worth more than $125.(See follow-on comments below.)

I also think, judging from the photo of the logo and surrounding wood, that the surface has been stripped and refinished, possibly with Tung or Danish Oil, and not just cleaned. If the outside of the cabinet matches, that was probably re-done, too.

OF
Last edited by OrthoFan on Sun Jan 31, 2010 5:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JohnM
Victor V

Post by JohnM »

I wouldn't pay much for this one at all. Most (but certainly not all) Diamond Disc models are simply too plentiful to necessitate eventually settling for one less than close to mint. Buy this one for $150 and keep it until the best example comes along. But just don't pay much for this one -- or any one, really -- except the rare forms. Even the perfect examples of most models are not in utter demand, again, because there are simply too many survivors to choose from today. The poor refinish (or any refinish) on this example is a definite value/desirability negative.
"All of us have a place in history. Mine is clouds." Richard Brautigan

brianu
Victor V
Personal Text: on instagram as "oncedeadsound"

Post by brianu »

how much is the seller asking for the machine in the photos that you're asking everyone here about, in terms of a fair price? you mentioned $125 for a grill and $325 for a similar machine (with grill). but you never mentioned the actual price for the machine for sale itself.

beyond that, I think the comments above are totally on, particularly as concerns the refinish on this one.

OrthoFan
Victor V

Post by OrthoFan »

brianu wrote:how much is the seller asking for the machine in the photos that you're asking everyone here about, in terms of a fair price? you mentioned $125 for a grill and $325 for a similar machine (with grill). but you never mentioned the actual price for the machine for sale itself.

beyond that, I think the comments above are totally on, particularly as concerns the refinish on this one.
Hi Brian:

I see I misread the original poster's message. (New glasses are on my agenda for this year.)

That said, I personally wouldn't pay much more than about $100-$125 for a stripped & refinished machine that's also missing parts. Looking again at the photos, it does look like the outside of the cabinet has been re-done.

OF

larryh
Victor IV

Post by larryh »

Refinished for sure somewhere a long the line. I thought at first it might have been one running of craigs list not too far from me but they want 500.00 which I thought was really steep for that model. Personally I would also hold out for one with the grill so it all matches.

Jerry B.
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Stop for a visit when in Oregon.

Post by Jerry B. »

A agree with the previous posts... that machine has not be cleaned, it has been refinished. Most people that refinish mahogany don't go the extra step and fill the grain. Mahogany should have a piano finish and this machine does not. You should be able to see the grain through the finish but light should bounce off the finish similar to light bouncing off a piece of glass.