Phonographs in Movies...

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
martinola
Victor III

Re: Phonographs in Movies...

Post by martinola »

Hi!
Laurel & Hardy's films have quite a few featured machines. "Unaccustomed As We Are" features Stan playing an upright Victrola which was very appropriate because Victor was the company that Hal Roach contracted with to make the sound recordings. The other film you mentioned was "Busy Bodies" with a Zon-o-phone mounted on top of the Model T's engine. Another notable L&H film is the silent "Liberty" where they destroy a victrola lookalike in front of James Finlayson's music store. (Time to get out the DVDs...)
Martin

Neophone
Victor III

Post by Neophone »

Folks,

I've got a few screen shots to get in the coming days. Adam, I have some nice screen shots from Swing Kids I'll have up later today I hope. Brian, I have the original Sabrina, but it's on VHS. We'll see what we can do about that one. Glad to see this thread up and running already!

I once stumbled across a web site dedicated to identifying old automobiles in movies. You could look up a movie title and find scree shots of the cars and their make, model and year. Way back I always thought this thread idea could become something like that.

Regards,
John

Listening to the Victrola fifteen minutes a day will alter and brighten your whole life.
Use each needle only ONCE!

Neophone
Victor III

Post by Neophone »

Folks,

O.K. here's the shots from Swing Kids:

The Columbia portable mentioned by Adam and the phonograph from the listening booth of the record store scene.

Here's a couple from The Big Red One:

A couple of an HMV 101 from The Man In The White Suit:

Here's a frankenphone (appropriately enough ;). A VV-IV I think with a external horn ) and a topless Credenza from Young Frankenstein:

I think it was Fredrik who first pointed out the Credenza from YF. It was cut out of the movie. I found the clips in the extras of the DVD issue.

Also here's a few shots of a VV-80 or 90 from The Producers:

Finally to round out the re-posts from way back when we have a portable, possibly a Columbia from Stage Door Canteen:

Regards,
John

Listening to the Victrola fifteen minutes a day will alter and brighten your whole life.

Neophone
Victor III

Post by Neophone »

Folks,

Here's three from Cheaper By The Dozen (1950)

A VTLA? With an unusual finish? Fumed Oak maybe?

A VV-IX maybe in the bathroom :D

A Dictaphone(?) in Frank Bunker Gilbreth's office

Bells On Their Toes (1952)

A Columbia Upright

The Ghost And Mr. Chicken (1966)

A front mount with a familiar looking decal I can't place right now. :roll:

Here's a fun one from Our Gang

A Victor I or II maybe

How to fix your talking machine by Porky :o

Much more to follow.

Regards,
John

MordEth
Victor IV
Personal Text: Contact me for TMF tech support.

Post by MordEth »

Very nice—glad to see you got all of these posted.

I need to add a tutorial on how to use the VLC media player (which runs on Mac/Windows/Linux/etc.) to take stills from movies—it is remarkably easy. With the movie playing, you just go to the Video menu, and select Snapshot. (I’ll do screen captures illustrating the process when I write it up as a tutorial.) John can attest to how easy this is, and it would work for all of our members that have a DVD-drive in their computer.

Hopefully I can pull a few more phonograph images from movies I have to add to this thread, as well...I know I have more phonographs in anime to post.

— MordEth

Proudly supporting phonograph discussion boards, hosting phonograph sites and creating phonograph videos since 2007.
Need web hosting or web (or other graphic) design? Support MordEth by using BaseZen Consulting for all of your IT consulting needs.
Want more phonograph discussion? Be sure to visit The Online Edison Phonograph Discussion Board.

brianu
Victor V
Personal Text: on instagram as "oncedeadsound"

Post by brianu »

I just saw the curious case of benjamin button today... there's a crapophone, a weird round or octagonal shaped table model with a bad looking repro reproducer and brass horn... a woman sings opera with it as it plays...

Zeppy
Victor III

Post by Zeppy »

It may not be the movies, but it was television.

From Doctor Who, "The Invasion" (1968). I'm guessing it must be an HMV of some sort (perhaps one of our friends form over the pond can identify it).

as a side note, the BBC hasn't been as good about using the real thing...the in the past 2 seasons, the new Doctor Who series has twice used crappaphones as props...I was quite disappointed :cry:
Last edited by Zeppy on Sun Jan 11, 2009 9:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MordEth
Victor IV
Personal Text: Contact me for TMF tech support.

Post by MordEth »

Zeppy wrote:From Doctor Who, "The Invasion" (1968). I'm guessing it must be an HMV of some sort (perhaps one of our friends form over the pond can identify it). As a side note, the BBC hasn't been as good about using the real thing...the in the past 2 seasons, the new Doctor Who series has twice used crappaphones as props...I was quite disappointed. :cry:
Zeppy,

Nice images—I may have to raid my Doctor Who and get some images posted. I have all of it since Christopher Eccleston took the role, and a chunk of the episodes prior to him, but off the top of my head I do not remember specific episodes with a phonograph...

...although I do remember John complaining when we watched one or two about crapophones. ;)

— MordEth

Proudly supporting phonograph discussion boards, hosting phonograph sites and creating phonograph videos since 2007.
Need web hosting or web (or other graphic) design? Support MordEth by using BaseZen Consulting for all of your IT consulting needs.
Want more phonograph discussion? Be sure to visit The Online Edison Phonograph Discussion Board.

Zeppy
Victor III

Post by Zeppy »

MordEth wrote:
Zeppy wrote:From Doctor Who, "The Invasion" (1968). I'm guessing it must be an HMV of some sort (perhaps one of our friends form over the pond can identify it). As a side note, the BBC hasn't been as good about using the real thing...the in the past 2 seasons, the new Doctor Who series has twice used crappaphones as props...I was quite disappointed. :cry:
Zeppy,

Nice images—I may have to raid my Doctor Who and get some images posted. I have all of it since Christopher Eccleston took the role, and a chunk of the episodes prior to him, but off the top of my head I do not remember specific episodes with a phonograph...

...although I do remember John complaining when we watched one or two about crapophones. ;)

— MordEth

I believe both crappaphone may have been season 3. I'm certain they used one in Utopia (the Prof. Yanna/Master's lab), and possibly one appeared in Human Nature/Family of Blood...I'm not 100% about the second, but I know there were two instances they used crappaphones (I suppose we'll have to start a tread about crappaphones in the movies).

Zeppy
Victor III

Post by Zeppy »

And to be even more obscure...from the movie Katyń (2008 Oscar nominee for best foreign movie).

Again, no idea what it is...HMV, Deutche Grammafon? Your guess is as good as mine.