Connecting horn driver to victrola

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
RJSoftware
Victor Jr

Connecting horn driver to victrola

Post by RJSoftware »

Hello all.

I have just recently purchased a Radeon horn driver.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 0160312542

I have it at home now, box arrived a little torn up but box was old and delicate. The driver and parts seem ok. Wire needs repairing.

So, how am I suppose to hook this thing up? I have I think a couple of options. The end result I hope to eventually play a list of mp3s via my computer.

But for now I will settle with hooking this up to one of my working AM radios.

I see it has a mock tube like deal that I'd guess is to hook up like some speaker tube amp. Thing I'm wondering is I see only 4 pins. I'd guess that AM speaker output tube amps normally have only 4 pin connections.

What I know about AM radio construction/repair could fit in a few paragraphs (in other words, not much).

What I wonder also is that shooting toward my eventual goal of playing a list of mp3s through the orthophonic.

Could I take output from one of my stereo amps (in mono) and hook it directly to the speaker?

But, that'd require that I cut the present volume control out. I know the thing is an antique and should not be altered, but I would see about removing it from soldered connections inside the device. That way it could be restored to fully original if desired. Besides that, the wires are in need of repair/replacement maybe.

The thing about that is I don't know if I'm mixing apples and oranges here. The output of one of my typical stereo amps is pretty loud, but is it enough juice to drive a 1920's designed speaker driver?

I'd guess other options are to use AM radio and buy some USB AM transmitter so AM radio recieves that and pumps it out the horn.

When I finally conquor this project I hope to be able to listen to whatever I want (super long playlist) of mp3s crankin out of my VE8-35 orthophonic.

I'm hoping that the orthophonic exponential horn sweetens up the highs and lows.

I think i'dll be sweet...!

:D
RJ

Valecnik
Victor VI
Personal Text: Edison Records - Close your eyes and see if the artist does not actually seem to be before you.

Re: Connecting horn driver to victrola

Post by Valecnik »

I know a guy who can help you with that. Wyatt Marcus, phonovoic on ebay. If nobody else comes up with his contact information I can probably find it.

Aaron
Victor II

Post by Aaron »

Valecnik wrote:I know a guy who can help you with that. Wyatt Marcus, phonovoic on ebay. If nobody else comes up with his contact information I can probably find it.

Valecnik is write for the most part Wyatt can help you but he goes by volvoic on ebay.I put his link in the links section of the forum.It should have a title something like "volvoic the phono guy" he is an awsome guy and im 100% sure he can help you.Just tell he we at the board here recomended him...

Bests,
Aaron

EDIT ADDED: here is a direct link to his site. http://www.lagparty.org/~wyatt/phonoguy.html

RJSoftware
Victor Jr

Post by RJSoftware »

Thanks all for help.

RJ

Brad
Victor III
Personal Text: So many phonographs, so little money

Post by Brad »

Wyatt recently resurfaced on Matt Browns Edison Board under his moniker MicaMonster.
Why do we need signatures when we are on a first avatar basis?

jharrellh
Victor Jr

Post by jharrellh »

Hi RJ,

That is in nice shape! I may be way off base, but I think that works the other way around, i.e. to play your Victrola through your radio. I think the four pin plug replaces the (detector?) tube in an early battery radio and the driver fits on the tone arm and takes the place of the reproducer. Is there a needle chuck on the driver? Is that what the setscrew is for?

That said, I have seen a couple of similar devices around, but none as nice and complete as yours. Good luck!

Regards,
James H

MordEth
Victor IV
Personal Text: Contact me for TMF tech support.

Post by MordEth »

Brad wrote:Wyatt recently resurfaced on Matt Browns Edison Board under his moniker MicaMonster.
It may be faster to e-mail him (his e-mail is on his web site), as it doesn’t seem like he’s tremendously active over at the Edison board.

Unfortunately, I know literally nothing about radio from that period.

Based on the photos, though, it does look like you might want to replace the wiring...although they said they tested it.

— MordEth

[hr][/hr]
eBay Item #370160312542

Vintage Gradeon David Grimes Victrola Adapter Radio

Proudly supporting phonograph discussion boards, hosting phonograph sites and creating phonograph videos since 2007.
Need web hosting or web (or other graphic) design? Support MordEth by using BaseZen Consulting for all of your IT consulting needs.
Want more phonograph discussion? Be sure to visit The Online Edison Phonograph Discussion Board.

Viva-Tonal
Victor II

Post by Viva-Tonal »

jharrellh wrote:Hi RJ,

That is in nice shape! I may be way off base, but I think that works the other way around, i.e. to play your Victrola through your radio. I think the four pin plug replaces the (detector?) tube in an early battery radio and the driver fits on the tone arm and takes the place of the reproducer. Is there a needle chuck on the driver? Is that what the setscrew is for?

That said, I have seen a couple of similar devices around, but none as nice and complete as yours. Good luck!

Regards,
James H
This is what I thought, too, from looking at the last picture. The plug device likely replaces the first audio or second detector stage tube.

RJSoftware
Victor Jr

Post by RJSoftware »

Yes, you guys are correct. Well, back to the drawing board. I just recently purchased some bass speakers including tweeters. I'm going to try building a box to insert tone arm in.

Least with standard 8ohm speakers I can directly connect to my amp and feed that with laptop mp3 list.

Not sure how it's gonna work but hey...

RJ

MordEth
Victor IV
Personal Text: Contact me for TMF tech support.

Post by MordEth »

RJSoftware wrote:Least with standard 8ohm speakers I can directly connect to my amp and feed that with laptop mp3 list.
Basically, it sounds like you’re wanting to do something like this (but not with an iPod or iPhone). It shouldn’t be that hard to put speakers in something that you can connect to your tone arm. I think the biggest concerns will be making sure that you don’t construct it in such a way that you get buzzing, and to have a good seal where it connects to the tone arm.

Unless you have a computer that you want to tether to your amp (e.g. the output from my desktop is the most-used input on my stereo receiver), you may want to look at the music sharing features of Apple’s AirportExpress, since it could be plugged into any outlet and provide the Line In on your amp, so that you don’t have to run a wire from your laptop to the amp. Plus, it’s very easy to set up and use.

Let me know if you have any questions, or if I can offer you any suggestions for your project.

— MordEth

Proudly supporting phonograph discussion boards, hosting phonograph sites and creating phonograph videos since 2007.
Need web hosting or web (or other graphic) design? Support MordEth by using BaseZen Consulting for all of your IT consulting needs.
Want more phonograph discussion? Be sure to visit The Online Edison Phonograph Discussion Board.