Victrola Gothic model on Craigslist UK! :-)

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
gramophoneshane
Victor VI

Re: Victrola Gothic model on Craigslist UK! :-)

Post by gramophoneshane »

Haven't I seen that ID tag somewhere before? ;) :D

Beautiful machine btw.

MordEth
Victor IV
Personal Text: Contact me for TMF tech support.

Post by MordEth »

Steve,

Even more great photos! :D

Thanks for sharing them with us.

— MordEth

Proudly supporting phonograph discussion boards, hosting phonograph sites and creating phonograph videos since 2007.
Need web hosting or web (or other graphic) design? Support MordEth by using BaseZen Consulting for all of your IT consulting needs.
Want more phonograph discussion? Be sure to visit The Online Edison Phonograph Discussion Board.

schweg
Victor III

Post by schweg »

Don't think I mentioned it- I bought it from the gent in New York. Paid to have it shipped to my Dad in South New Jersey. He loaded it in the back of his van and hauled it to the winter place in FL. I drove over from Houston to FL and picked it up and then drove it back to TX... 30 hr round trip but a lot easier than the long haul from TX to NJ.. Lotsa fun for sure..

MordEth
Victor IV

Post by MordEth »

schweg wrote:Don't think I mentioned it- I bought it from the gent in New York.
Steve,

So basically, the photos of the machine on Craigslist may well be of your Gothic?

It is a stunning machine, though.

Out of curiosity—what type of base is the light bulb, and is it still possible to get bulbs for it? (After working at a hardware store, I can attest to there being more variety in light bulbs than most people would consider.)

— MordEth

Proudly supporting phonograph discussion boards, hosting phonograph sites and creating phonograph videos since 2007.
Need web hosting or web (or other graphic) design? Support MordEth by using BaseZen Consulting for all of your IT consulting needs.
Want more phonograph discussion? Be sure to visit The Online Edison Phonograph Discussion Board.

schweg
Victor III

Post by schweg »

the photos of the machine on Craigslist may well be of your Gothic? Right same machine, as Shane said, funny how the ID tag matches!!- the pics are of the machine in the sellers home in NY, the person I bought it from. The craigslist offering is a pure fabrication... As Gomer Pyle would say, "Shame, shame shame"

MordEth
Victor IV

Post by MordEth »

schweg wrote:Right same machine, as Shane said, funny how the ID tag matches!!
Wow. I totally missed the serial number on it.

It’s really impressive how you can take such great photographs of a machine that is in London. :lol:

I understand Rocky is working on a time machine...obviously you must have a teleportation device.

Hopefully no-one is scammed by this seller.

— MordEth

Valecnik
Victor VI
Personal Text: Edison Records - Close your eyes and see if the artist does not actually seem to be before you.

Post by Valecnik »

Schweg, Thanks for posting the pictures. Photo bucket is not working here now so I can only see the small ones. I'll look at the large version later. I see you were able to successfully clean most of that tape residue off the arm without damage. That's great.

You must have researched this some and asked others about it. Any idea how many have survived? I recall only the one I had and seeing one at Union years ago, so this would make at least three.

Cheers,
Bruce

MordEth
Victor IV

Post by MordEth »

Valecnik wrote:Photo bucket is not working here now so I can only see the small ones. I'll look at the large version later.
Bruce,

Here you go in all of its glory:

(Click on any of the images below for its full-size version.)

— MordEth

schweg
Victor III

Post by schweg »

I know of 3 in addition to this one, only thru pictures though. One is in SanFillipo's collection. Someone posted pics they took a while back. Another is owned by Jerry Blais & is pictured in Fabrizio and Paul's book (sorry can't remember which one). Both these machines appear to have fared better than this one which suffers some obvious problems due to storage in a damp basement.. I can't remember if the others are spring-powered or have electric motors. The third one is a cabinet only and was sold on Ebay with a buy it now.. That is the one that was discussed in great detail on one of the previous boards.

The one I have started right up after replacing the power cord. Every motor driven machine I've owned has worked with minimal work, it never ceases to amaze me how good these work after so many years of inactivity. In spite of the missing trim, I decided to buy this one due to it's rarity and figure out how to get the parts replicated. I haven't done that yet.

Thanks for everyone's interest in the Gothic.

Steve