Victrola Gothic model on Craigslist UK! :-)

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
Silvertone
Victor II

Re: Victrola Gothic model on Craigslist UK! :-)

Post by Silvertone »

Valecnik, I would love to see a picture of the matching key that came with your Gothic Victrola. Any chance you could post a photo?

Valecnik
Victor VI
Personal Text: Edison Records - Close your eyes and see if the artist does not actually seem to be before you.

Post by Valecnik »

Silvertone wrote:Valecnik, I would love to see a picture of the matching key that came with your Gothic Victrola. Any chance you could post a photo?
Silvertone, so would I. Believe it or not the Gothic was among the first phonos in my collection and about the ONLY thing I ever paid under market price for, $350 in about 1984. I looked for pictures here but since most of my old "hardcopy pictures" are in boxes back in Minnesota, I was not able to find anything.

It was like a forged iron, matching the rest of the metal works, flat black and silver color, very rough surface and extraordinarily large and well, Gothic looking.

I sold it to a gentleman in California shortly after buying it. It's probably just as well. At the time I was living in a house with 3 male roomates and it likely would not have survived undamaged for long.

Valecnik
Victor VI
Personal Text: Edison Records - Close your eyes and see if the artist does not actually seem to be before you.

Post by Valecnik »

Some more pictures sent to me by the seller, fake or not, of the Gothic. Interesting for at least one point not previously noted.

- It's a VE GOTHIC Model 500 Yes it has a 110-220 changeable electric motor. Check out the SN tag. So 25-50 of this model were made and the electric version was probably a one off, or no more than two or three or four made.

The lack of interest among our UK friends is understandable for reasons already explained but if this ad were placed on Craigslist New York City and was in fact a fake, the poster would have to remove it quickly or have his mailbox flooded with interested buyers.

super -rare wide 2.JPG
super -rare wide 2.JPG (31.37 KiB) Viewed 2022 times
super -rare wide 3.JPG
super -rare wide 3.JPG (34.4 KiB) Viewed 2022 times
super -rare wide 4.JPG
super -rare wide 4.JPG (36.32 KiB) Viewed 2022 times
super -rare wide 5.JPG
super -rare wide 5.JPG (35.23 KiB) Viewed 2022 times
super -rare wide 6.JPG
super -rare wide 6.JPG (26.86 KiB) Viewed 2021 times
super -rare wide 7.JPG
super -rare wide 7.JPG (24.09 KiB) Viewed 2021 times
super -rare wide 8.JPG
super -rare wide 8.JPG (41.49 KiB) Viewed 2021 times

Steve
Victor VI
Location: London, Paris, Amsterdam, Berlin, New York, Evesham

Post by Steve »

Curiously, it looks great when other horn machines on sitting on top of the lid either side of the actual playing mechanism - I'm sure that was never the idea, but from a "collector's perpective" it does make it an interesting (and potentially useful) addition to a collection.

Does anyone have the horn aperture dimensions please? It's also occurred to me that it might just be the biggest internal horn machine prduced by Victor/HMV pre-1925? It certainly looks quite deep.

Moooperator
Victor I

Post by Moooperator »

I emailed the person who had the Gothic on Ebay for sale in Nov. 2007... maybe he can verify if these are his pictures someone hi-jacked.

schweg
Victor III

Post by schweg »

They are the pictures from the Ebay listing. I promise!! The machine I show in my pics is one and the same as the Ebay one. I will take additional pics and post this evening if time permits.

Steve

Moooperator
Victor I

Post by Moooperator »

I too Steve thought it was the same... I remembered the tape residue looking stuff on the tonearm and it had the same issues with the feet and a couple of carvings missing from the side.

Hey, maybe i could post some fake HMV special case 1A on craigslist and see if I get any bites from the guys over the pond. Maybe they'll do western union or direct bank transfer for a few grand. Maybe I'll even get a buyer from Nigeria!! Wouldn't that be a complete reversal of roles?!?! ;)

Steve
Victor VI
Location: London, Paris, Amsterdam, Berlin, New York, Evesham

Post by Steve »

Hey Moo, do you want me to Western Union say $7,000 over to you for the promise that one day when you've got it working ( ;) ) and you're bored with it, you'll sell it to me? I don't expect to be able to buy the machine for that measly price, all I'm buying is the promise that I can buy it later! :lol:

Moooperator
Victor I

Post by Moooperator »

Now that sounds like a deal! Please send the money in rubles - aren't they holding their value better than dollars and Euros??!!

BTW The owner of this fine machine in New York said that those were his photos....

schweg
Victor III

Post by schweg »

Pictures as promised. The horn opening is 15" wide x 10" high...