Featured Phonograph No. 81: Victrola VE 10-35 X

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
barnettrp21122
Victor IV
Personal Text: "Did you ever stop to think that pleasure is a duty?" (Victor sales pamphlet)

Re: Featured Phonograph No. 81: Victrola VE 10-35 X

Post by barnettrp21122 »

Yes, the cabinet style is classic-looking, much different from the earlier Victrola styles.
You'd not suspect it houses such interesting machinery.
Glad you liked the pics and video!
Bob
"Comparison is the thief of joy" Theodore Roosevelt

His Master's Voice Automatic 1A Exponential Gramophone Demonstration:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qi70G1Rzqpo

Starkton
Victor IV

Post by Starkton »

One of the nicest phonographs I have ever seen. Excellent multimedia presentation, if it was built before 1910 (my area of collection) I would be seriously interested ...

FloridaClay
Victor VI

Post by FloridaClay »

None too gentle on the ejects, but an extremely handsome machine and it is a real treat to see the mechanism work!

Clay
Arthur W. J. G. Ord-Hume's Laws of Collecting
1. Space will expand to accommodate an infinite number of possessions, regardless of their size.
2. Shortage of finance, however dire, will never prevent the acquisition of a desired object, however improbable its cost.

barnettrp21122
Victor IV
Personal Text: "Did you ever stop to think that pleasure is a duty?" (Victor sales pamphlet)

Post by barnettrp21122 »

FloridaClay wrote:None too gentle on the ejects, but an extremely handsome machine and it is a real treat to see the mechanism work!

Clay

Yeah, it seems a bit unnerving to watch the records get casually flung off the turntable, but actually it hasn't broken or even chipped any records. I've examined some records afterwards for signs of surface scratching, etc., but haven't found anything. The Victor records of the era were very well-finished, with smooth rounded edges. I wipe the records with a soft cloth before loading to remove any loose dust or grit.
Bob

phonogfp
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: "If you look for the bad in people expecting to find it, you surely will." - A. Lincoln

Post by phonogfp »

Holy smokes! I have a sudden urge to add a changer to my collection!

That machine really has it all - - great sound, attractive cabinet, and an interesting (and admittedly scary) changer mechanism and record removal. I've seen one of these in action. Thanks for posting, Bob!

Very nice video production too...!

George P.

barnettrp21122
Victor IV

Post by barnettrp21122 »

Thanks George. I'd not paid much attention to these type changers before, being familiar with the earlier Victor one, such as in my 10-50. The information available leaves one with the impression that these 2nd version changers were unreliable and ruined records. This was the case when they first came out, and Victor had an embarrassing recall, resulting in some modification of the electric circuits and mechanics. Interestingly, the electric diagram pasted inside the phono's back panel shows the original circuitry, with solenoids and other switches eliminated during the recall.
This model interested me mainly because of its acoustic playback. I'd consider one with a tube amplifier and radio if I had any knowledge of how to rebuild them myself.
The Victor Data Book says that total shipments of this model was 3,082. Paul Edy, who manages the Victor Victrola Page, believes there were many more shipped than that, judging by the number of owners who have registered their phonos with the site, and the wide range of serial numbers. There is a gap in serial numbers due to the recalled changer.
I wonder if the cabinet was designed by the same woman who did the VV 8-35. It looks like a nice dining room sideboard. It's possible that due to the 10-35's "non-Victrola" appearance that I've passed by these players before, not knowing the treasure lurking inside!
Glad you liked the video!
Bob

Swing Band Heaven
Victor III

Post by Swing Band Heaven »

A great looking machine - love the styling on he front. Those second generation changers don't look too hard on the records as they seem to get quite a smooth ride off the turntable.

Very nice video presentation too.

S-B-H

syncopeter
Victor II

Post by syncopeter »

The 'stacker' certainly is quite gentle, even though it looks rather fiercesome.

AZ*
Victor IV

Post by AZ* »

Nice machine and presentation, Bob. I've been a big fan of the metal horn Orthophonics since acquiring my VV 8-9X about 10 years ago.
Best regards ... AZ*

barnettrp21122
Victor IV

Post by barnettrp21122 »

Thanks, AZ. Yes, the metal folded horn is a fine compact design with a great sound..topped only by the VE 10-50's, IMHO.
The 8-9 is quite a distinctive model. Oddly, most I've seen have paint or finishes that are more worn than one would expect. I'd be tempted buying one if found in nice original shape.
Thanks to SonnyPhono, who was able to explain in simple terms enough for me on how to embed Youtube videos!
Bob B.