Type B ("Eagle") Graphophone Research

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
saxymojo
Victor II

Re: Type B ("Eagle") Graphophone Research

Post by saxymojo »

phonogfp wrote:Thanks for your data, Marcel.

Your second example - the one without the data plate - might have originally been sold as a "caseless" $10 model, and the owner purchased the case for it later. Check the rear edge of the metal base plate for a serial number. If you can find a number anywhere on the edge, that's your answer.

Thanks again,

George P.
Hi George

I checked the rear edge, I also went all over the machine, can't find a serial number anywhere. Maybe someone has messed with it long before I got it.

Regards Marcel

Starkton
Victor IV

Post by Starkton »

saxymojo wrote:Maybe someone has messed with it long before I got it.
This is very often the case with phonographs after my experience. George's survey will be very helpful to determine the improvements and deviations during the serial production, and also the level of authenticity of a specific phonograph.

phonogfp
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: "If you look for the bad in people expecting to find it, you surely will." - A. Lincoln

Post by phonogfp »

Thanks to all who have responded with data so far. I currently have 27 machines in a database, but I'm certain there are many more in the collections of board members. If you haven't yet sent your Eagle data, I'd sincerely appreciate hearing from you!

Best to all,

George P.

JerryVan
Victor Monarch Special

Post by JerryVan »

1. 427049
2. 3
3. 1 screw tabs
4. no
5. New York & London
6. caps
7. Yes, Paris 1900 & St. Louis 1904
8. no
9. yes
10. Stamped

phonogfp
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: "If you look for the bad in people expecting to find it, you surely will." - A. Lincoln

Post by phonogfp »

That's Great, Jerry! I have very few Eagles from 425,000 up - - I could use more!

Also Jerry, check your PMs.

Thanks, and please keep them coming!

George P.

DrGregC
Victor I

Post by DrGregC »

I love my Eagle B, but I've always assumed that it was simply missing the mandrel tag and the belt cover. I didn't realize that some were produced without them. Which models would be missing these items? Thanks for doing this research. You have done a great deal to make this hobby a pleasure for all of us.

1. 87245
2. 3 feet
3. 1 screw tabs
4. No, thinner
5. New York
6. All wood
7. No decal
8. S
9. No mandrel tag. Missing?
10. No belt cover. Missing?

phonogfp
Victor Monarch Special

Post by phonogfp »

Thanks, Dr. Greg. (If you PM me your name, I'll be happy to include it my acknowledgments.)

No.87245 would NOT have had a mandrel tag, so you don't need to find one! I'm still trying to nail down an accurate estimate, but it's tough to know which mandrel tags have fallen off, and which others have been added later. At this point I can confidently say that the first 10,000 Eagles (of which yours is one) did not originally have mandrel tags. It may actually be the first 20,000, but I need more data.

Thanks for your kind words. I've derived much pleasure from the research of others, and if I can do the same for collectors, I'm grateful. This kind of research is lots of fun for me - - I enjoy the thrill of discovery. I hope the end result is worthwhile!

George P.