What is this and who made It?

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
gramophoneshane
Victor VI

What is this and who made It?

Post by gramophoneshane »

I got this item with a bunch of needle tins and related accessories, and wondered if anyone can identify it, or at least confirm its gramophone related and its use.

I thought it might be one of those devices you put in the needle chuck of a lateral orientated soundbox to enable vertical cut records to be played, but I'm just not sure if the 45° needle angle would allow that successfully.

Sorry the pictures aren't a bit clearer but they're the best I've been able to take with my cheap phone.

The top stem (to insert in chuck?) Is steel, and the rest is sold brass.
There's a hole at the top of the brass body about 90° from the screw.
This hole goes all the way through the body at a 45° angle coming out near the bottom of the body above the bottom screw.
The steel stud at the top is achored to the brass and isn't effected by the top thumb screw, but it does anchor a steel needle if I insert one.
The bottom screw also anchors a needle that's been inserted.
With both screws open, a loud tone needle drops straight through from top to bottom.
There are no inscriptions or numbers of any kind that I can see, even under magnification.

It seems strange to me that the top hole and screw are there because they are basically useless, unless it's some sort of devices for use with tungsten wire, (or extremely long needles) but then it's an awful big hole through the brass body if its intended for such a fine wire.

So what are you thoughts, and does anyone recognise it, either as some sort of needle chuck or perhaps something entirely different?
Attachments
IMG_20210317_225318~2.jpg
IMG_20210317_225035~2.jpg

Inigo
Victor VI
Personal Text: Keep'em well oiled

Re: What is this and who made It?

Post by Inigo »

Would be what you say a device for installing in a normal soundbox to play vertical Records but the sound box need an elbow to rotate it to the right position dot it seems anyway a homemade affair
Inigo

Inigo
Victor VI
Personal Text: Keep'em well oiled

Post by Inigo »

Would be what you say a device for installing in a normal soundbox to play vertical Records but the sound box need an elbow to rotate it to the right position. it seems anyway a homemade affair
Inigo

Curt A
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Needle Tins are Addictive

Post by Curt A »

Is the top shaft fixed or is it able to rotate?
Screen Shot 2021-03-18 at 2.29.12 PM.png
"The phonograph† is not of any commercial value."
Thomas Alva Edison - Comment to his assistant, Samuel Insull.

"No one needs a Victrola XX, a Perfected Graphophone Type G, or whatever you call those noisy things."
My Wife

gramophoneshane
Victor VI

Post by gramophoneshane »

Curt,
The steel top shaft is fixed and does not rotate.