Featured phonograph No. 86- The Star

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
Valecnik
Victor VI
Personal Text: Edison Records - Close your eyes and see if the artist does not actually seem to be before you.

Re: Featured phonograph No. 86- The Star

Post by Valecnik »

Brandon wrote:I think this is awesome. It's so cleverly disguised! One could almost sneak yet another machine into the house without getting in trouble. "No really...it's just a simple sideboard. No phonograph here! Move along, nothing to see..." :lol:
I like the way you think! A few years back I was at the Rüdesheim show with my wife & ditched her long enough to make a deal on a large cylinder cabinet, ~240 pegs or so. As the seller was helping me carry it to our car she caught us! I jokingly tried to convince her that it was a "sock cabinet" for the children's room & pegs were for storing the children's socks. :lol:

Lenoirstreetguy
Victor IV

Post by Lenoirstreetguy »

I knew I had this.It was reproduced in Ernie Bayly's collector's journal The Talking Machine Review . The difficulty with the Talking Machine Review is that the editor packed so much in each issue that actually finding information about the illustrations is like looking for the proverbial needle in the haystack. I can't find anything about the ad in the issue that carries it, but I'll keep poring over the microscopic type he used to see if somewhere there is a bit of a write up. But I thought it was interesting that the machine seemed to come with cutlery.

Jim
Attachments
IMG_0001.jpg
IMG_0002.jpg

estott
Victor Monarch
Personal Text: I have good days...this might not be one of them

Post by estott »

And when you bought that sideboard/gramophone you got a set of cutlery with it! Might have been useful for a newlywed couple in a tiny flat.

schweg
Victor III

Post by schweg »

Thanks for the picture Jim. That is quite close to what I have, without the crazy tonearm-- and by the way, I got no cutlery, just cobwebs with mine.