Experimenting with Images...

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
Lenoirstreetguy
Victor IV

Experimenting with Images...

Post by Lenoirstreetguy »

Just playing. This is a bit late for Xmas , but here it is: the 1936 RCA D22 and Victor Record Library. I have never seen an album from this set, so I suspect that it didn't sell well ( or at all) up here in Snowy Land. I can't imagine what those 461 records would have cost!
The D22 I suspect sounded very nice indeed. I have the previous year's model ( sans record player) and it sounds lovely. When it's working, that is to say. I need to get at it's vitals. Tube equipment is a pain to keep operating. The D22 looks big enough to use as a walk in closet. but then it had EVERYTHING : record changer, Magic Brain radio, home recording...the works!
Jim

gregbogantz
Victor II

Re: Experimenting with Images...

Post by gregbogantz »

The RCA D-22 was one of the most elaborate sets ever made by RCA in the pre WWII period. In addition to the features you mention, it was one of a very few consumer models made by ANYBODY that incorporated a dynamic volume expander circuit - WAY before such stuff became "rediscovered" in the 1960s. The R-99 phono was the only other RCA model that I know of that offered the volume expander. E.H. Scott and McMurdo Silver were the only other makers that I can think of that also offered this circuit in the prewar period. The D-22 had one of the most powerful audio amplifiers offered at that time as well, consisting of four 2A3 output triodes in push-pull parallel for an output power of about 35 watts RMS. Scott also offered a similar amplifier in their Allwave 23, beginning in 1935. These are imposing machines even by today's standards, and they are a joy to listen to when they are fully restored.
Collecting moss, radios and phonos in the mountains of WNC.

phonophan79
Victor IV

Post by phonophan79 »

This guy has some beautiful units... but I believe this is the one in the ad.

www.hallicraftercollector.com

phonophan79
Victor IV

Post by phonophan79 »

Lenoirstreetguy wrote:here it is: the 1936 RCA D22 and Victor Record Library. I have never seen an album from this set, so I suspect that it didn't sell well ( or at all) up here in Snowy Land. I can't imagine what those 461 records would have cost!
I would love to have the library as well! :mrgreen: