Large "cockleshell" mahogany monarch case motor etc

Buy, sell, or trade your phonograph-related items here
soundgen
Victor V

Large "cockleshell" mahogany monarch case motor etc

Post by soundgen »

Large "cockleshell" mahogany monarch case motor back bracket tone arm and elbow kit form no horn or soundbox see all pictures on this thread

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=53191&p=316588#p316588

Any Interest email to jmw.bedford@ntlworld.com may Ebay as parts if no interest motor weighs 6+ kilos so collection would be best but I would consider posting as two parcels but would be quite expensive
Attachments
DSCF1247.JPG
DSCF1243 holes.jpg
DSCF1236.JPG

gramophone-georg
Victor VI
Personal Text: Northwest Of Normal

Re: Large "cockleshell" mahogany monarch case motor etc

Post by gramophone-georg »

What's the asking price on this? Thanks!
"He who dies with the most shellac wins"- some nutty record geek

Steve
Victor VI
Location: London, Paris, Amsterdam, Berlin, New York, Evesham

Post by Steve »

I've been studying this very closely on a bigger screen and I'm almost definite that it's a home-made base an amateur enthusiast has made in mahogany using some or all of the original shell and leaf motifs / columns, salvaged from an oak base. The oak has been stained red to blend in with the new mahogany. This isn't a G & T base in my honest opinion. It's quite well made but falls a long way short of the German made bases of the original oak machines.

I'm not sure what the back-bracket is from but it isn't an HMV / G & T / Victor.

It's still worth having if you want something different and much better than your typical Frankenphone but genuine it almost certainly isn't, sorry to say.

soundgen
Victor V

Post by soundgen »

Interesting take on it but it is definitely mahogany including the pillars and leaf motifs , I've looked very closely and they aren't oak

Steve
Victor VI
Location: London, Paris, Amsterdam, Berlin, New York, Evesham

Post by Steve »

Maybe it's a "trick" of the light but on my screen the standard column and shell / leaf motifs look a light golden brown colour under the red pigmented stain whereas the actual box itself and plinth moldings, motorboard etc definitely are a pinkish red colour under the finish and they also have that tight close graining of mahogany.

Notwithstanding the above the carving of the plinth moldings and shaping of the serpentine isn't as crisp, even and level as the oak cabinets I've seen. It's an odd one for sure, but I'd almost bet my entire collection it wasn't made by any cabinet maker who had any connection to HMV.

What price are you asking?

soundgen
Victor V

Post by soundgen »

I was asking £500 for the lot including UK postage , I did have an interested party but that has passed now due to uncertainty re posts so I'll probably sell each part separately on Ebay , i just got nearly £100 for an elbow , so if anyone wants any of the parts let me know , i guess the motor may be worth a hundred ? I also sold a winder for £40

Garret
Victor IV

Post by Garret »

Hello,

Is this case with motor still available? Super interested.

Thanks,

Garret