WANTED: G&T Record Cabinet Hardware or Information on Same

Buy, sell, or trade your phonograph-related items here
JerryVan
Victor Monarch Special

WANTED: G&T Record Cabinet Hardware or Information on Same

Post by JerryVan »

The cabinet I mention in my other Wanted ad, viewtopic.php?f=20&t=44942
does not have the correct hardware on it. (Which was made known to me by the seller, "Ripduf", who was excellent in every way!)

If I can't locate the proper hardware, I would at least really like to know how it's supposed to look. If anyone doesn't have either piece to offer for sale, and if none are being reproduced, then perhaps some kind soul will provide some good photos???

Thanks!!

Here's what I currently have...
Attachments
DSC05247.JPG
DSC05248.JPG

gramophoneshane
Victor VI

Re: WANTED: G&T Record Cabinet Hardware or Information on Sa

Post by gramophoneshane »

Marcel (saxymojo here) has reproductions of these listed on his website.
They're not cheap, but the prices listed are in AU$ so they'll be a lot cheaper converted to US$.

http://www.gypsyleather.com.au

Look in the index and click on "antiques", then click on "parts and needles".
They're on the last page (p.5) down the bottom.
I'd say chances of finding originals would extremely slim,and I'd imagine getting one set cast yourself would probably prove more expensive.
Afaik these are exact copies.
And if nothing else, at least you'll see exactly what each item looks like.

jamiegramo
Victor III

Post by jamiegramo »

Hi Jerry,

This is a common problem. The original hardware was often only quite lightly pinned on to the cabinet, particularly the lion head handles, which are really just there for decoration. People pull at them and they come away and don't get put back.

A word of warning; the 'Melba' cabinet hardware is different from the 'Monarch' cabinet hardware you need. There is a member here in Australia making the 'Melba' hardware. Unfortunately it is little too pricey for me to buy as I need a set of these, however, I have his hardware picture, see below. The 'key escutcheon plate' and 'drawer handle plate' shown are the only 2 parts common to both type cabinets and therefore correct for your cabinet. He may sell these separately.

I have a 'Monarch' stand here, the same as yours, with all the correct original hardware, so I can confirm this. I will try and get you a picture of the lion heads and drawer handle if need be. I have thought about getting these cast and am happy to do all the finishing myself but all the companies round here that did metal castings have gone.

Jamie

gramophoneshane
Victor VI

Ok, so Marcel's are actually for the Melba cabinet in black then?
I had no idea these cabinets used different hardware (never having owned one) so my apologies for my mistake.
It might be worth asking Marcel if he knows of a source for the correct set.
This is the set that Marcel has.
From what can see, the drawer pull in the picture posted by soundgen is different to Marcel's, so these may not be common on both cabinets?
Attachments
6231115-p1010012_530x@2x.jpg
Last edited by gramophoneshane on Tue Apr 21, 2020 4:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jamiegramo
Victor III

Post by jamiegramo »

My PC keeps crashing so I couldn't post the pic of the 'saxymojo' Melba hardware with my post. The black arrows show the only 2 pieces suitable for the 'Monarch' cabinet pedestal.

Note the drawer handle on the 'Monarch' pedestal shown above is probably not correct.
Attachments
Melba1.jpg
Melba1.jpg (55.35 KiB) Viewed 2319 times

jamiegramo
Victor III

Post by jamiegramo »

gramophoneshane wrote:Ok, so Marcel's are actually for the Melba cabinet in black then?
I had no idea these cabinets used different hardware (never having owned one) so my apologies for my mistake.
It might be worth asking Marcel if he knows of a source for the correct set.
Yes that's right different for the Melba cabinet. Normally the Melba cabinet is black (ebonised linden/lime wood) but there is also an oak version.

jamiegramo
Victor III

Post by jamiegramo »

Correct Lion Handle and Drawer Drop Handle for 'Monarch' pedestal. The lion is similar to the Melba lion but is larger and has a different style ring.
Attachments
DSCF2348.JPG
DSCF2349.JPG
Last edited by jamiegramo on Tue Apr 21, 2020 6:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

gramophoneshane
Victor VI

Thanks James. It's good to see clear px of the correct hardware.

It appears then, that in the pic soundgen posted, the drawer pull is incorrect.
The pedestal shown in Christopher Proudfoot's "collecting phonographs and gramophones" has this same drawer pull so I guess these are both the same cabinet photographed at different times?

Did G&T and DGAG both use the same hardware on both cabinets, or were pedestals sent to Germany from the UK anyway?

jamiegramo
Victor III

Post by jamiegramo »

gramophoneshane wrote:Thanks James. It's good to see clear px of the correct hardware.
It appears then, that in the pic soundgen posted, the drawer pull is incorrect.

Did G&T and DGAG both use the same hardware on both cabinets, or were pedestals sent to Germany from the UK anyway?
Yes the G&T/DGAG pedestals were manufactured in Dippoldiswalde in Germany and should have the same hardware. There are some European variations not seen in the British catalogues which may have used some different hardware. The key escutcheon seems to be the same to several styles of pedestal so this may be a way of confirming the origin of the pedestal. An oak version of the Melba pedestal sold in France has carved oak lions heads instead of brass, although the brass lion version was also sold there.