WANTED: Cabinet base for HMV 32 horn Tabletop

Buy, sell, or trade your phonograph-related items here
gramophone-georg
Victor VI
Personal Text: Northwest Of Normal

WANTED: Cabinet base for HMV 32 horn Tabletop

Post by gramophone-georg »

Long shot, I know- but a corner of the base and one square foot of my HMV 32 machine is gone due to woodworm damage long ago. Looking at the machine I need the piece along the back, the piece down the left side, and the foot where they join. An entire base would be fine, as would a cabinet that someone has no use for.

This is a "pyramid" shaped cabinet in oak.

Anyone? Thanks!
"He who dies with the most shellac wins"- some nutty record geek

Enrico
Victor I

Re: WANTED: Cabinet base for HMV 32 horn Tabletop

Post by Enrico »

gramophone-georg wrote:Long shot, I know- but a corner of the base and one square foot of my HMV 32 machine is gone due to woodworm damage long ago. Looking at the machine I need the piece along the back, the piece down the left side, and the foot where they join. An entire base would be fine, as would a cabinet that someone has no use for.

This is a "pyramid" shaped cabinet in oak.

Anyone? Thanks!
Hi George,
Could you send me a picture, please?
All the best,
Enrico

gramophone-georg
Victor VI

I will post them here. The damage is pretty evident. I know I can get some new wood and a router bit to match the profile most likely but it won't match the grain at all.
Attachments
IMG_1474.JPG
IMG_1475.JPG

VanEpsFan1914
Victor VI
Personal Text: I've got both kinds of music--classical & rag-time.

Post by VanEpsFan1914 »

Mr George, how hard would it be to find, say, an oak beam from an old house or something and then build the new pieces? The damage is pretty bad but maybe it would end up being easier to rebuild that old base--just in case a spare one doesn't show up to do a guts transplant. Not sure where you would find a beam like that, but perhaps an antique furniture dealer or someone would have some scrapped solid oak from a bureau, a piano/reed organ, a desk, something like that? Aniline would probably get a color for it.

I don't know why the bugs seem to have nibbled on just about all the older English furniture.

Garret
Victor IV

Post by Garret »

Not sure how much you are willing to spend, or pay for shipping, but Brent Kahl could certainly set this right. https://kahlrestorations.com/

Garret

nostalgia
Victor IV
Personal Text: Keep winding up

Post by nostalgia »

If you can't find a complete base or cabinet..and find no other good solution...:
I just finished repairing a Model 25, and changed the base on my machine, since the base was very bad. I was extremely lucky to find a scrap model 28 case, where two of the sides were destroyed, but the base was complete! This is the thread where my work is showed in detail: viewtopic.php?f=11&t=44879&start=20
When I removed the old base, most of it was falling to pieces, and I am not even sure if I will recommend removing the complete base when I look at your machine. The base was extremly difficult to remove from my machine, there are both screws and nails holding it to the cabinet, and I was only able to get two screws out. I ended up having to drill holes beside the screws to get them out, and the nails are ever harder since they are tiny and their heads often deep inside the wood after so many years. I took me very long time, and patience to remove the base, BUT my luck was that I had a good base waiting for me, so I did not have to pay much attention to the old base when removing it.
What you see on the attached photos is what is left of the old base, the pieces are far from perfect, since they underneath also has issues, veneer falling off, and cracks in the wood. BUT it is dark oak, and I believe the parts can be used, IF handled carefully, and possibly somehow strengthened underneath. I have a corner leg, it is also pictured on the photo, it is okay. Possibly the parts could be substituting the destroyed parts of your base, if inserted into the base you already have? This is for sure delicate work, but from your photos...I feel it possibly can be done?
I am not in the position to confirm that the base of model 25 and 32 are identical though, even if they in the HMG book look the same to me.
Attachments
Model 25 base parts.jpg

soundgen
Victor V

Post by soundgen »

gramophone-georg wrote:I will post them here. The damage is pretty evident. I know I can get some new wood and a router bit to match the profile most likely but it won't match the grain at all.
looks like it's burnt ?

gramophone-georg
Victor VI

soundgen wrote:
gramophone-georg wrote:I will post them here. The damage is pretty evident. I know I can get some new wood and a router bit to match the profile most likely but it won't match the grain at all.
looks like it's burnt ?
Someone filled it in the past with some sort of putty and then painted the repaired area black. I know, doesn't make sense to me, either.

gramophone-georg
Victor VI

nostalgia wrote:If you can't find a complete base or cabinet..and find no other good solution...:
I just finished repairing a Model 25, and changed the base on my machine, since the base was very bad. I was extremely lucky to find a scrap model 28 case, where two of the sides were destroyed, but the base was complete! This is the thread where my work is showed in detail: viewtopic.php?f=11&t=44879&start=20
When I removed the old base, most of it was falling to pieces, and I am not even sure if I will recommend removing the complete base when I look at your machine. The base was extremly difficult to remove from my machine, there are both screws and nails holding it to the cabinet, and I was only able to get two screws out. I ended up having to drill holes beside the screws to get them out, and the nails are ever harder since they are tiny and their heads often deep inside the wood after so many years. I took me very long time, and patience to remove the base, BUT my luck was that I had a good base waiting for me, so I did not have to pay much attention to the old base when removing it.
What you see on the attached photos is what is left of the old base, the pieces are far from perfect, since they underneath also has issues, veneer falling off, and cracks in the wood. BUT it is dark oak, and I believe the parts can be used, IF handled carefully, and possibly somehow strengthened underneath. I have a corner leg, it is also pictured on the photo, it is okay. Possibly the parts could be substituting the destroyed parts of your base, if inserted into the base you already have? This is for sure delicate work, but from your photos...I feel it possibly can be done?
I am not in the position to confirm that the base of model 25 and 32 are identical though, even if they in the HMG book look the same to me.
Hmmm. This could work. PM me with what you want for the pieces with postage to Oregon 97478 USA if you would, please. At your convenience. Thanks!

gramophone-georg
Victor VI

Garret wrote:Not sure how much you are willing to spend, or pay for shipping, but Brent Kahl could certainly set this right. https://kahlrestorations.com/

Garret
Interesting. I will keep this in mind as a back up plan. Thanks!