FOUND : Feedscrew for Columbia type " Q " Graphophone

Buy, sell, or trade your phonograph-related items here
Dulcetto
Victor II

FOUND : Feedscrew for Columbia type " Q " Graphophone

Post by Dulcetto »

Hello all , Does anyone have a Columbia Type Q Graphophone ( cylinder phonograph ) that is incomplete or for parts only ? I need the Feedscrew rod or if anyone has a spare one in their " parts box " -- please message me with details if you have one for sale -- Many thanks ! Dulcetto

UPDATED JUNE 13TH
MANY THANKS TO FORUM MEMBER ENRICO , WHO KINDLY SOLD ME THE REQUIRED PART
Last edited by Dulcetto on Sat Jun 13, 2020 12:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

fran604g
Victor VI
Personal Text: I'm Feeling Cranky

Re: WANTED : Feedscrew for Columbia type " Q " Graphophone

Post by fran604g »

Dulcetto,

Be aware that there were 2 different thread pitches employed on the Q feedscrew/halfnut arrangements. The change seems to have happened when the early type Q with nickel plated base was changed to the later Japanned base. There were also other changes; the drive pulley diameter, and the governor mounting arrangement.

There are 2 threads I know of which has ultimately broached the topic, here: viewtopic.php?p=267243#p267243, and here: viewtopic.php?p=172881#p172881

Within my “Q” Graphophone Questionnaire thread, there should be enough information contained to give you an idea of which feedscrew would be needed for your Q, however, the thread pitch should be measured to be absolutely sure. I discovered this with a Q I bought for parts, which had the wrong pitch feedscrew, but correct drive pulley mounted to it.

Best,
Fran
Francis; "i" for him, "e" for her
"Even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in a while" - the unappreciative supervisor.

Dulcetto
Victor II

Post by Dulcetto »

Many thanks Fran for the info -- I was unaware that there were differences in the feed-screws employed. The one I need is for a later machine with the japanned base. All other parts are present but for some unknown reason , a previous owner removed the feed-screw. Whilst in lockdowm I have been going through all the " little" restoration jobs on phonos etc. Twenty - seven machines done so far , twenty- eight when I can source a feed-screw for the Q ( actually a QA according to a little paper label pasted inside the lid by Columbia ). Thanks agai , your advice appreciated. Dulcetto

fran604g
Victor VI
Personal Text: I'm Feeling Cranky

Post by fran604g »

Dulcetto wrote:Many thanks Fran for the info -- I was unaware that there were differences in the feed-screws employed. The one I need is for a later machine with the japanned base. All other parts are present but for some unknown reason , a previous owner removed the feed-screw. Whilst in lockdowm I have been going through all the " little" restoration jobs on phonos etc. Twenty - seven machines done so far , twenty- eight when I can source a feed-screw for the Q ( actually a QA according to a little paper label pasted inside the lid by Columbia ). Thanks agai , your advice appreciated. Dulcetto
My pleasure, Dulcetto. Best of luck in your pursuit,

Fran
Francis; "i" for him, "e" for her
"Even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in a while" - the unappreciative supervisor.

zapper
Victor II

Post by zapper »

Noticed Croakinfrog has some Q feedscrews on his website, but you may need to discuss thread type as mentioned by Fran
zapper