EMG's Vespas and more

Buy, sell, or trade your phonograph-related items here
pallophotophone
Victor II

Re: EMG's Vespas and more

Post by pallophotophone »

Sounds too expensive to me- 30% buyers premium plus shipping?

epigramophone
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: An analogue relic trapped in a digital world.

Post by epigramophone »

pallophotophone wrote:Sounds too expensive to me- 30% buyers premium plus shipping?
Not only that, but if you bid on line via www.thesaleroom.com you will have to pay their fees as well.

Even for UK collectors, viewing is by appointment only with either commission or on line bidding. I had planned to make a day out of it with some of my collector friends, but social distancing means that we should not share a car, and the pubs are not open!

Dulcetto
Victor II

Post by Dulcetto »

epigramophone wrote:
pallophotophone wrote:Sounds too expensive to me- 30% buyers premium plus shipping?
Not only that, but if you bid on line via http://www.thesaleroom.com you will have to pay their fees as well.

Even for UK collectors, viewing is by appointment only with either commission or on line bidding. I had planned to make a day out of it with some of my collector friends, but social distancing means that we should not share a car, and the pubs are not open!

I have booked an appointment to view , as quite a few lots look a bit " iffy " as to completeness or condition , and JS Fine Art are not experts in this field , so although their descriptions ( and catalogue pictures ) are reasonable , they may not show up important defects , as with many auction houses . The nice receptionist mentioned there were already a few viewings booked and I think these machines will generate a lot of interest despite in some cases their condition. Only the start though , more to come another day ! Dulcetto

Sidewinder
Victor III

Post by Sidewinder »

Dulcetto wrote:........ Only the start though , more to come another day !
Thanks, I had thought that this was only the first sale. What is in this catalog seems like the extra items Mr Peppiatt stored in the old gatehouse, stables, coachroom and former servants quarters.

The good instruments, as I understand it, he had in the main Manor House, displayed in the Great Hall, Priceptory, Lay Rectory , Oratory, the Lady’s Parlor, the Orangery and even some in the the disused but climate controlled ice-house on the estate.

epigramophone
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: An analogue relic trapped in a digital world.

Post by epigramophone »

When I met him a few years ago he was living with his parents in a council house. His collection was spread between his bedroom and the garage.

Not all the machines in the June auction are from his collection. Nine of them belong to a former friend of his, but I don't know which nine.

soundgen
Victor V

Post by soundgen »

epigramophone wrote:When I met him a few years ago he was living with his parents in a council house. His collection was spread between his bedroom and the garage.

Not all the machines in the June auction are from his collection. Nine of them belong to a former friend of his, but I don't know which nine.
The Good Ones !

soundgen
Victor V

Post by soundgen »

Sidewinder wrote:
Thanks, I had thought that this was only the first sale. What is in this catalog seems like the extra items Mr Peppiatt stored in the old gatehouse, stables, coachroom and former servants quarters.

The good instruments, as I understand it, he had in the main Manor House, displayed in the Great Hall, Priceptory, Lay Rectory , Oratory, the Lady’s Parlor, the Orangery and even some in the the disused but climate controlled ice-house on the estate.

why do people even begin to believe such rubbish , Manor House :lol: , old gatehouse :lol: , stables :lol: , coachroom :lol: , servants quarters :lol: , Preceptory :lol: lay rectory :lol: , oratory :lol: , the lady's Parlor :lol: . the Orangery :lol: the disused but climate controlled ice-house on the estate :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

phonosandradios
Victor II
Personal Text: So many audio formats, so little listening time!

Post by phonosandradios »

soundgen wrote:
Sidewinder wrote:

why do people even begin to believe such rubbish , Manor House :lol: , old gatehouse :lol: , stables :lol: , coachroom :lol: , servants quarters :lol: , Preceptory :lol: lay rectory :lol: , oratory :lol: , the lady's Parlor :lol: . the Orangery :lol: the disused but climate controlled ice-house on the estate :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Lol you beat to it :lol: The picture he built up was a far cry from the 1970's terraced council house built of drab grey brick with a garage located within a communal block in Tring. I guess the truth behind the facade was that of a very sad individual who lived out his life in his childhood bedroom in his parents house. That aside, he did bring to the the attention of the world some very unusual and interesting machines that otherwise would of been lost to the wider collecting community. Just a pity that had to be accompanied by all the garbage he spewed world wide over the decade following his discovery of the internet.
I am interested in all forms of audio media including: gramophones, phonographs, wire recorders, the tefifon, reel to reel tapes, radiograms and radios.

VanEpsFan1914
Victor VI
Personal Text: I've got both kinds of music--classical & rag-time.

Post by VanEpsFan1914 »

He sounds like he would have been someone in an Evelyn Waugh novel like Brideshead Revisited or Put Out More Flags, almost like a combination of Charles Ryder's father, Sebastian Flyte, Lord Marchmain, and Anthony Blanche, all of whom were pretty interesting but sad people. It's neat that he was able to collect gramophones no one would have heard of otherwise and preserve a lot of this history, and all that, but I couldn't tell from the videos if he was joking about his aristocratic surroundings or if he was actually right. The accumulata in his living-quarters always made me wonder if he was OK. Usually when people have that much stuff in such a small place, well, then it can be really overwhelming sometimes.

Almost like the Henry Darger of gramophones, poor man. Such a strange story!

(EDIT. I had made this possible mis-interpretation without having watched the late Mr. Peppiatt's non-phonograph videos. This guy had a gently satirical sense of self-mockery and I think everyone fell for the bait.)
Last edited by VanEpsFan1914 on Wed Jul 29, 2020 4:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

soundgen
Victor V

Post by soundgen »

VanEpsFan1914 wrote:He sounds like he would have been someone in an Evelyn Waugh novel like Brideshead Revisited or Put Out More Flags, almost like a combination of Charles Ryder's father, Sebastian Flyte, Lord Marchmain, and Anthony Blanche, all of whom were pretty interesting but sad people. It's neat that he was able to collect gramophones no one would have heard of otherwise and preserve a lot of this history, and all that, but I couldn't tell from the videos if he was joking about his aristocratic surroundings or if he was actually right. The accumulata in his living-quarters always made me wonder if he was OK. Usually when people have that much stuff in such a small place, well, then it can be really overwhelming sometimes.

Almost like the Henry Darger of gramophones, poor man. Such a strange story!

I wish all posters were so erudite ! I must try better ! :)