EMG's Vespas and more

Buy, sell, or trade your phonograph-related items here
Sidewinder
Victor III

Re: EMG's Vespas and more

Post by Sidewinder »

The hammer price for the black lacquered Aeolian gramophone at this auction was £800 + 30%

More realistic was probably the price it sold at auction about 4 years ago. It was under £300 if I recall correctly. It was then hyped in the extreme by the person who's estate sale this was, as "the most significant gramophone" or the "most magnificent gramophone" to be ever found in the UK.

I find it very attractive, but the most significant / magnificent - not really.
Attachments
aeolianpepp.jpg
aeolianpepp.jpg (65.49 KiB) Viewed 2024 times

phonosandradios
Victor II
Personal Text: So many audio formats, so little listening time!

Post by phonosandradios »

Perhaps the £800 includes the fee for an exorcist to rid the machine of any lurking spirits!
I am interested in all forms of audio media including: gramophones, phonographs, wire recorders, the tefifon, reel to reel tapes, radiograms and radios.

Garret
Victor IV

Post by Garret »

I find it interesting how the price discussion for this auction has gone on for almost a month...

Garret

CarlosV
Victor IV

Post by CarlosV »

Garret wrote:I find it interesting how the price discussion for this auction has gone on for almost a month...

Garret
Probably because the deceased owner of these machines was very well known, although not universally esteemed, among collectors, in particular in the UK. His ghost is around, hidden in You Tube videos and in these gramophones, so don't be shocked if they start to play spontaneously in the middle of a stormy night. Buyers of this auction are recommended to exorcise their purchases before use.

phonosandradios
Victor II
Personal Text: So many audio formats, so little listening time!

Post by phonosandradios »

CarlosV wrote: although not universally esteemed.....
That's more polite than I would of described him.
I am interested in all forms of audio media including: gramophones, phonographs, wire recorders, the tefifon, reel to reel tapes, radiograms and radios.

neilmack
Victor II

Post by neilmack »

epigramophone wrote:When I met him a few years ago he was living with his parents in a council house. His collection was spread between his bedroom and the garage.

The same when I met him. He did explain that he owned the entire block, and rented out the rest cheaply as a favour to old neighbours. He also made a point of telling me about the immense death duties he had recently to pay on a family estate in Normandy. By the time we reached his descent from Pepin of France (I at least was on safe ground here) I asked which one? Interview - terminated.
Last edited by neilmack on Thu Jul 09, 2020 2:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

neilmack
Victor II

Post by neilmack »

Anyone know what Lot 1092 "A WIND UP GRAMOPHONE IN SHERATON STYLE MARQUETRIED WALNUT CASE STANDING ON CABRIOLE LEGS" went for? Despite the absence of transfer, it's a Gramophone Co Ltd model, isn't it? Did any of the Edwardian Grand or Library models have a transfer? https://www.the-saleroom.com/en-gb/auct ... 8c00d786ed

epigramophone
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: An analogue relic trapped in a digital world.

Post by epigramophone »

The machine was an HMV Bijou Grand in walnut, and according to the auctioneer's website the closing bid was a miserable £80. Whether it sold is not clear. When new between 1907 and 1911 it cost the huge sum of £50! Only late examples of these early cabinet models seem to have HMV lid transfers.

I cannot resist adding a Peppiatt anecdote of my own. When I met him I mentioned in conversation that I was a lifelong classic car enthusiast, to which he responded that he owned a Rolls-Royce Silver Ghost, but that it was "not currently on the road". I don't believe in ghosts, and I certainly don't believe in that one.

neilmack
Victor II

Post by neilmack »

It's a machine type I really like, despite being space hungry and having a megaphonic sound quality. I've got the rather severely plain mahogany one with what I think is boxwood stringing and a three spring motor that sounds like horses galloping by.

Surprised the Silver Ghost wasn't included in the sale. I believe the O Gauge ones are more sought after than OO.

soundgen
Victor V

Post by soundgen »

neilmack wrote:
epigramophone wrote:When I met him a few years ago he was living with his parents in a council house. His collection was spread between his bedroom and the garage.

The same when I met him. He did explain that he owned the entire block, and rented out the rest cheaply as a favour to old neighbours. He also made a point of telling me about the immense death duties he had recently to pay on a family estate in Normandy. By the time we reached his descent from Pepin of France (I at least was on safe ground here) I asked which one? Interview - terminated.
Hence his attempt as "Stranded French Aristocrat" to trash Brian Oakley's Book on Amazon !

https://www.amazon.co.uk/review/RU6F40P ... F40P1R0R0F