EMG's Vespas and more

Buy, sell, or trade your phonograph-related items here
User avatar
SteveM
Victor II
Posts: 310
Joined: Mon Oct 21, 2013 2:20 pm
Location: Boyertown, PA
Contact:

Re: EMG's Vespas and more

Post by SteveM »

I had always thought the whole Antony Blanche thing was satire, but sad that it seems it was much darker and dumber than that.

Hey Neil! I am still loving your 102 MOS, it's right here at my side and I play it almost every day.
“The cup of tea on arrival at a country house is a thing which, as a rule, I particularly enjoy. I like the crackling logs, the shaded lights, the scent of buttered toast, the general atmosphere of leisured cosiness.”

P. G. Wodehouse

User avatar
phonosandradios
Victor II
Posts: 318
Joined: Fri Oct 11, 2019 4:49 pm
Personal Text: So many audio formats, so little listening time!
Location: Wiltshire, UK

Re: EMG's Vespas and more

Post by phonosandradios »

SteveM wrote:I had always thought the whole Antony Blanche thing was satire, but sad that it seems it was much darker and dumber than that.

He was a sad lonely individual who tried to talk himself up and belittle others. Whereas in fact he was a nobody and resented that fact. He didn't work, he didn't go to Oxford University (as much as he tried to claim he did) and any claim to flats in London and Oxford and talk of living in a big house were clearly a figment of his imagination. He actually lived in his childhood bedroom in his parents terraced council house even though he was in his 40's. He was often to be seen dressed in a dark undertakers type suit which had seen better days and which was decidedly grubby. I do wonder what his parents knew about his activities - they must of been aware of some of it since he had the police turn up to caution him about online trolling.
I am interested in all forms of audio media including: gramophones, phonographs, wire recorders, the tefifon, reel to reel tapes, radiograms and radios.

neilmack
Victor I
Posts: 159
Joined: Wed Jul 24, 2013 2:28 pm
Location: Scotland

Re: EMG's Vespas and more

Post by neilmack »

SteveM wrote:
Hey Neil! I am still loving your 102 MOS, it's right here at my side and I play it almost every day.
Hi Steve. I'm delighted it's found a loving home! I suppose there aren't that many 102s on your side of the pond. Keep well,
Neil

epigramophone
Victor VI
Posts: 3653
Joined: Mon Oct 24, 2011 1:21 pm
Personal Text: An analogue relic trapped in a digital world.
Location: The Somerset Levels, UK.

Re: EMG's Vespas and more

Post by epigramophone »

phonosandradios wrote:
SteveM wrote:I had always thought the whole Antony Blanche thing was satire, but sad that it seems it was much darker and dumber than that.

He was a sad lonely individual who tried to talk himself up and belittle others. Whereas in fact he was a nobody and resented that fact. He didn't work, he didn't go to Oxford University (as much as he tried to claim he did) and any claim to flats in London and Oxford and talk of living in a big house were clearly a figment of his imagination. He actually lived in his childhood bedroom in his parents terraced council house even though he was in his 40's. He was often to be seen dressed in a dark undertakers type suit which had seen better days and which was decidedly grubby. I do wonder what his parents knew about his activities - they must of been aware of some of it since he had the police turn up to caution him about online trolling.
I felt sorry for his parents. By inventing a fantasy family background it seemed as though he was ashamed of them, and he had no reason to be.

Dulcetto
Victor II
Posts: 201
Joined: Tue Nov 13, 2012 5:57 pm

Re: EMG's Vespas and more

Post by Dulcetto »

Enough said about Mons. Peppiatt ! even though I have the "distinction" of having been mentioned in his very last posting on his own gramophone-collecting forum --- mentioned in derogatory terms , naturally !
But back to the Sheraton cased HMV in the Banbury auction , I did view the sale in person and noticed a fairly bad warp in its lid , not really apparent in the online catalogue photos , also the motor board and motor were not original to the cabinet , nor some of the internal woodwork. so maybe the hammer price was not so much of a snip after all . Many of the machines offered had issues which the online photos did not show -- par for the course ! Regards Dulcetto

neilmack
Victor I
Posts: 159
Joined: Wed Jul 24, 2013 2:28 pm
Location: Scotland

Re: EMG's Vespas and more

Post by neilmack »

Dulcetto wrote:
But back to the Sheraton cased HMV in the Banbury auction , I did view the sale in person and noticed a fairly bad warp in its lid , not really apparent in the online catalogue photos , also the motor board and motor were not original to the cabinet , nor some of the internal woodwork. so maybe the hammer price was not so much of a snip after all . Many of the machines offered had issues which the online photos did not show -- par for the course ! Regards Dulcetto
Thank you for that information. So possibly a cabinet gutted to form a needlework box, and then repopulated with the innards of another machine? Perhaps, as you say, it wasn't worth much more.

I should still like one though!

kind regards
Neil

Post Reply