CLPGS PHONOFAIR CANCELLED.

Buy, sell, or trade your phonograph-related items here
epigramophone
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: An analogue relic trapped in a digital world.

CLPGS PHONOFAIR CANCELLED.

Post by epigramophone »

I have just heard from the organiser that the CLPGS Phonofair, which was to have taken place at Powick on 27th June, has been cancelled because of Covid-19.

Hopefully the CLPGS Malvern weekend from 2nd to 4th October will be able to go ahead. For many of us this is the highlight of our gramophonic year.

CarlosV
Victor IV

Re: CLPGS PHONOFAIR CANCELLED.

Post by CarlosV »

epigramophone wrote: Hopefully the CLPGS Malvern weekend from 2nd to 4th October will be able to go ahead. For many of us this is the highlight of our gramophonic year.
I got an email from the Abbey informing that they are closed due to the pandemics. They did not say when they will reopen. There is also this 14-day quarantine in place for all travelers entering the UK, that if still in place in October will constrain the attendance to natives-only. I hope that by October the hotel will be open and the quarantine over, but until that time I (and I suppose the other participants not resident in the UK) cannot make any plans or reservations. It is indeed unfortunate, I enjoyed the centenary meeting and the opportunity to meet and talk with a lot of nice and smart people (including you).

Inigo
Victor VI
Personal Text: Keep'em well oiled

Post by Inigo »

I booked for Malvern 2020 as soon as the notice came, just before the lock down... I still hope we can attend... It's likely that the events could be held even with distance restriction, for the centenary was really crowded with 120 of us, but normal Malvern meetings were much less crowded, at least before the centenary. If we used the same rooms and venue halls, it would be easy to hold 50 people with distance restrictions. What I see more difficult is to attend Eddie Dunn's record stall without crowding around the record boxes! :D
Inigo

RefSeries
Victor I

Post by RefSeries »

The 2021 CLPGS Malvern event is going ahead, and while many people have already booked there are a few places left. There will obviously be the normal recognition of COVID protection needs but it is hoped that this will not reduce the enjoyment we have had in the past.

Hope to see you there!

Keith

Inigo
Victor VI
Personal Text: Keep'em well oiled

Post by Inigo »

Ah.. I was just to send booking when the UK government launched the quarantine mandatory for people coming from Spain. So I'm waiting here, impatient... to see if they derogate this...
Inigo

CarlosV
Victor IV

Post by CarlosV »

I will skip Malvern this year, things are too uncertain. Every other week some government, airline or hotel changes its COVID rules, and travellers are risking being stranded either coming or going.

epigramophone
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: An analogue relic trapped in a digital world.

Post by epigramophone »

On today's lunchtime news a government spokesman said in response to a Covid related question that the government should not be pushed into making changes on a daily basis, but that is exactly what they have been doing throughout the pandemic.
My wife and I have never missed Malvern and are booked in, fingers crossed.

Wagnerian
Victor II

Post by Wagnerian »

As RefSeries (Keith) says, Malvern 2021 is still planned to go ahead as scheduled, taking due cognizance of all the UK Covid regulations and any additional measures that may be imposed by the Abbey Hotel. Obviously, it is impossible to say at this stage what those regulations/restrictions may be.

As of 23 July, there is still some accommodation available in the Hotel and at Saturday's Gala Dinner but single rooms are in short supply.

I fully appreciate how difficult it may be for our friends from overseas to attend this year and that will be our loss, as the weekend won't be the same without you!

Hopefully , things will be more certain for Malvern 2022.

All the best

Tim W-W