Exhibition Reproducer

Buy, sell, or trade your phonograph-related items here
tofinal-4
Victor Jr

Exhibition Reproducer

Post by tofinal-4 »

Does anyone have in tips for getting the small screw into the needle bar I have been trying for an hour an things are only getting worse. Any tips would be appreciated.
Thanks

JerryVan
Victor Monarch Special

Re: Exhibition Reproducer

Post by JerryVan »

I put the mica & gaskets in first, then install the needle bar, adjusting the needle bar arm until the screw hole lines up with the mica hole. With one hand, I have my jeweler's screwdriver with the screw hanging on the end, with the aid of a small dab of grease to act as a minor "adhesive". With the other hand I pull the needle arm away from the mica slightly, then insert the screw in the diaphragm hole. While turning the screw, using the mica as a support, I bring the needle arm up to the screw and the screw usually starts right in. A small Q-Tip to wipe away any remaining grease, then the wax...

AZ*
Victor IV

Post by AZ* »

My technique is very similar to Jerry's. Instead of grease, I use a small blob of bees wax warmed by my fingers and rolled into a ball as the "adhesive" to hold the screw on the tip of the screwdriver.

A good quality screwdriver helps. I use a Wiha screwdriver for this.
Best regards ... AZ*

soundgen
Victor V

Post by soundgen »

Just magnetize the screwdriver , holds the screw perfectly , also useful when refitting Edison motor gear assembly where screws are difficult to access !

https://www.wikihow.com/Magnetize-Metal

Curt A
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Needle Tins are Addictive

Post by Curt A »

My method is a little different: I put the screw in the hole in the mica, then place a piece of Scotch tape over the screw to keep it held in place. Then I take the mica with screw attached and line it up with the needle bar and rotate the whole thing to start the screw... Once started, I remove the tape and finish tightening the screw... This works great for someone with a shaky hand and less than perfect eyesight.
"The phonograph† is not of any commercial value."
Thomas Alva Edison - Comment to his assistant, Samuel Insull.

"No one needs a Victrola XX, a Perfected Graphophone Type G, or whatever you call those noisy things."
My Wife

tofinal-4
Victor Jr

Post by tofinal-4 »

Thanks I got it, the screw driver I was using was to small I went one size larger with the bees wax and made it.

VanEpsFan1914
Victor VI
Personal Text: I've got both kinds of music--classical & rag-time.

Post by VanEpsFan1914 »

Awesome news!