WANTED: Two Gold Needle Cups and one Rectangular Escutcheon

Buy, sell, or trade your phonograph-related items here
Skihawx
Victor III

WANTED: Two Gold Needle Cups and one Rectangular Escutcheon

Post by Skihawx »

WANTED: Two round gold needle cups and one rectangular escutcheon for a tungs-tone needle tin for an HMV machine. The machine has two openings but one is present. It appears this machine made it over to the US in the 1970's by a Connecticut Antiques dealer who imported many antiques from castles and mansions. Any help appreciated. I also have a question, would a gold plated machine have a nickel crank? I would think not, I am assuming it was added once the machine was over here. Thanks, Jeff

soundgen
Victor V

Re: WANTED: Two Gold Needle Cups and one Rectangular Escutch

Post by soundgen »

what model is and pictures might help

Skihawx
Victor III

Post by Skihawx »

Here is a picture of the inside. I literally brought it home at 10PM last night. I did not see how those escutcheons for the tungs-tone needle tin are attached to the cabinet. It may be bent out of shape. Here is a picture of the inside. The two needle cups are there but the both have holes punched in the bottom and one is crushed. Not sure how that happened.
Attachments
HMV open.jpg

Inigo
Victor VI
Personal Text: Keep'em well oiled

Post by Inigo »

Hey, this looks as the mighty 202...
Please, a full height photo with doors opened! :D
The tungsten needle boxes estucheons go simply fitted into the wooden holes, but I believe they have some golden screws somewhere inside, difficult to see... I reach then with a long thin screwdriver... I think they are hidden under the external cover, at one narrow side of the vertical part
IMG_20200915_205359_HHT.jpg
Inigo

Phono48
Victor IV

Post by Phono48 »

Skihawx wrote: I did not see how those escutcheons for the tungs-tone needle tin are attached to the cabinet. It may be bent out of shape. The two needle cups are there but the both have holes punched in the bottom and one is crushed. Not sure how that happened.

The tungsten needle holders have screws just under the top that screw into the cabinet, and the bowls should have holes in the borrom, again to take screws.

Skihawx
Victor III

Post by Skihawx »

Phono48 wrote:The tungsten needle holders have screws just under the top that screw into the cabinet, and the bowls should have holes in the borrom, again to take screws.
I never thought they were supposed to have holes! I guess American Victors have screws in the bottom of the cups on some of the early wood needle holders. This is the first HMV that I have ever come across. I didn't notice any holes on the tungs-tone escutcheon. I have not even heard a record on it yet. Maybe tonight.

Skihawx
Victor III

Post by Skihawx »

Here is one more picture from the advertisement. I have not taken any of my own pictures yet.
I don't see a model number anywhere on it but I think it is a 203. I haven't removed the grill to see how the cloth is mounted.
I am doubting it is original.
Attachments
HMV grill.jpg

Inigo
Victor VI

Post by Inigo »

It's a replacement. The original one looks darker and has golden threads in the fabric.
Look mine (194) original, never cleaned.
IMG_20200915_205347.jpg
It should look clearer when new, but it's a mixture of brown and gold threads.
Inigo

Skihawx
Victor III

Post by Skihawx »

I had removed the grill earlier and confirmed the wood slats were sporadically replaced. For some reason the two lower door hinges were replaced with gold hinges that are too small. The top two hinges look just like Credenza hinges and look correct. And they drilled new holes! This poor machine has lead a tough life. The motor does not work so I still have not heard the machine. I now see the holes on the tungs-tone escutcheons. I don't know why all the screws were removed. I removed the motor board and still cannot find an ID tag anywhere. But I am pretty sure it is an HMV-203.

Inigo
Victor VI

Post by Inigo »

Yes, it's a 203. Be prepared for a huge full sound once you've examined the soundbox and repaired it, if needed. These don't have rubber gaskets, but thin felt gaskets for the diaphragm. They're pretty much like the Victor orthophonic, but have the same needlebar fulcrum system as the Victor/hmv no4 soundboxes. There's a rubber connector to the tonearm that must be supple. If it has hardened, you must replace it.
Inigo