Buying from the EU has got 20% more expensive !

Buy, sell, or trade your phonograph-related items here
soundgen
Victor V

Buying from the EU has got 20% more expensive !

Post by soundgen »

Buying from the EU has got 20% more expensive ! As now you pay VAT on goods worth over £39

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-55752541

jamiegramo
Victor III

Re: Buying from the EU has got 20% more expensive !

Post by jamiegramo »

Yes I find it all very grim and inflexible. Antiques are supposed to be subject to much lower VAT but on eBay you have to pay the 20% regardless. I read that people have even had to pay it on items, such as books, which should be exempt.

Victor VI

Post by 52089 »

FWIW, eBay gets taxes wrong all the time, even here in the states. In my state, we don't pay tax on clothing less than $175, but eBay taxes it anyway. We also are supposed to pay tax on the net amount paid after discounts, coupons, etc., but eBay always taxes the gross amount. It hasn't cost me a huge amount so far, but it annoys me to have to pay taxes when none are actually due.

Dulcetto
Victor II

Post by Dulcetto »

jamiegramo wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 12:59 pm Yes I find it all very grim and inflexible. Antiques are supposed to be subject to much lower VAT but on eBay you have to pay the 20% regardless. I read that people have even had to pay it on items, such as books, which should be exempt.
Not quite accurate. Antiques ( over 100 years old ) are subject to a lower rate of customs DUTY if payable ( over £135 declared value now ). Goods imported into UK from non -EU countries , for example from USA have always been subject to import VAT ( used to be over £18 value if commercial and I think it was £80 if non - commercial , i.e. declared as a gift ) .
So the current position is >> up to £39 value no charge. Over £39 , import VAT at 20 percent regardless of what the item is , new or secondhand. Over £135 , then customs DUTY is payable in addition to the VAT. Country of origin also affects the tariff code of goods valued over £135. For example , if you buy a new item from France , but that items has been made in China for instance , then it will cost a lot more !!! Beware !!

epigramophone
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: An analogue relic trapped in a digital world.

Post by epigramophone »

Perhaps this is the way forward :
Attachments
bb.jpg
bb.jpg (14.32 KiB) Viewed 2157 times

jamiegramo
Victor III

Post by jamiegramo »

Dulcetto wrote: Thu Jan 28, 2021 10:22 am Not quite accurate. Antiques ( over 100 years old ) are subject to a lower rate of customs DUTY if payable ( over £135 declared value now ). Goods imported into UK from non -EU countries , for example from USA have always been subject to import VAT ( used to be over £18 value if commercial and I think it was £80 if non - commercial , i.e. declared as a gift ) .
So the current position is >> up to £39 value no charge. Over £39 , import VAT at 20 percent regardless of what the item is , new or secondhand. Over £135 , then customs DUTY is payable in addition to the VAT. Country of origin also affects the tariff code of goods valued over £135. For example , if you buy a new item from France , but that items has been made in China for instance , then it will cost a lot more !!! Beware !!
I understood that VAT is now applied regardless of value. The minimum exemption having been abolished. Certainly these Berliners being sold in France, currently at a low price (below £18) have VAT to be applied. I’m not sure of the position on gifts.
Attachments
6E596837-F7D3-48AB-8C10-A00798D46D34.jpeg

drh
Victor IV
Personal Text: A Pathé record...with care will live to speak to your grandchildren when they are as old as you are

Post by drh »

Pardon me for butting in on something of a tangent, but I intend sometime soon to send some stylus assemblies to Expert for custom tipping. I live in the United States. Any ideas how all this likely to affect my cost?

Victor VI

Post by 52089 »

drh wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 11:59 am Pardon me for butting in on something of a tangent, but I intend sometime soon to send some stylus assemblies to Expert for custom tipping. I live in the United States. Any ideas how all this likely to affect my cost?
It's not likely to affect anything but shipping costs. I am in the USA and I have received dozens of parcels from overseas over the years and have never been asked to pay duty on any of them, regardless of value.

drh
Victor IV
Personal Text: A Pathé record...with care will live to speak to your grandchildren when they are as old as you are

Post by drh »

Thanks!

Dulcetto
Victor II

Post by Dulcetto »

jamiegramo wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 11:17 am
Dulcetto wrote: Thu Jan 28, 2021 10:22 am Not quite accurate. Antiques ( over 100 years old ) are subject to a lower rate of customs DUTY if payable ( over £135 declared value now ). Goods imported into UK from non -EU countries , for example from USA have always been subject to import VAT ( used to be over £18 value if commercial and I think it was £80 if non - commercial , i.e. declared as a gift ) .
I understood that VAT is now applied regardless of value. The minimum exemption having been abolished. Certainly these Berliners being sold in France, currently at a low price (below £18) have VAT to be applied. I’m not sure of the position on gifts.
I took my info from the advice showing on UK government website. Maybe French ebay are automatically applying the VAT regardless of value ? It is also my understanding that if the sender from EU to UK is a private individual then import VAT / customs duty is paid by the recipient , but if sent by a business or commercial undertaking then any charges are applied at the point of sale . Possibly the reason French ebay are applying the VAT is because an buyer in UK is effectively buying the item using ebay which of course is a commercial operation. Its a ll rather confusing !!