Black HMV102 No Longer for sale

Buy, sell, or trade your phonograph-related items here
Gramtastic
Victor III

Black HMV102 No Longer for sale

Post by Gramtastic »

Hi all, On Thursday I went to a local car boot sale and saw this black 102c for sale without a soundbox for £40. I couldn't say "no" but actually have no use for it my self so I have decided to offer it here at what it cost me before putting it on Ebay for more money.

Good points - complete apart from sound box, motor works and plays a full side easily, all brightwork good, auto stop/start works,

Not so good - case shows the usual scuffs, knocks and wear (but no areas of loss of rexine or worm holes) , obviously you need a soundbox (5a or b) for it, wooden motorboard has cracks near the horn where someone has tried to remove it without undoing the bolts holding the tone arm support etc, but they are not really noticeable.
It has the usual ring on the felt where a needle has slipped off a smaller record

All in all, for £40 plus postage it would make a good honest playing machine which you could throw into a vintage car for a picnic etc. and not have to be too precious over. I could part it out for more - a replacement mainspring for one is more than £40 ! - but I would like to pass it on complete to someone who can use it.
I would like to only sell it to someone in the UK as it is easier then sending it abroad (sorry US !) and will charge postage at cost or you can collect from Derby.
Please PM me fairly soon before I put it on Ebay, if you are interested. (I can send you more photos if you want more details..)
Cheers
Andrew
Attachments
IMG_8277.JPG
IMG_8280.JPG
IMG_8278.JPG
IMG_8279.JPG
Last edited by Gramtastic on Wed Jul 21, 2021 8:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

Inigo
Victor VI
Personal Text: Keep'em well oiled

Re: Black HMV102 for sale £40

Post by Inigo »

What a temptation... I happen to have a spare recovered-from-hell orphan 5B soundbox to attach to it, but I live in Spain, so postage might be expensive.
It would be great if finally I can attend this october Malvern meeting of CLPGS (if the Queen finally unlocks the country for we spaniards) and you'd happen to be there too. We could then deal with it at The Abbey.
As you said, a sacrifice spare player to take outside, exposed to damages, while the precious one remains at home.
It's the bug for portable machines. When I started collecting, I had no money to spend, no room to buy uprights or tabletops, so portables were the solution. From then I've developed the love for these small machines, and marvel at the good sound they have, specially the HMVs. I have other portables, but my three HMVs are at the top of the list. Others sound dull in comparison. And how powerful they are; if placed on the floor, at the corner of a room... What a sound!
It will be a great deal for someone...
Inigo

epigramophone
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: An analogue relic trapped in a digital world.

Post by epigramophone »

Car upholstery cleaner followed by black shoe polish will obliterate many of those minor blemishes on the outer case, and even the carrying handle appears to be intact. With a 5b soundbox this would be an ideal machine to introduce a newcomer to the hobby.

Roger (still looking for a Grey 102 to complete the set).
Attachments
102 group.JPG

neilmack
Victor II

Post by neilmack »

Hi Andrew
I hope all is well with you.
For want of a current project, I would be interested in this. What do you think postage would be to the Scottish Riviera?
Kind regards
Neil

Inigo
Victor VI
Personal Text: Keep'em well oiled

Post by Inigo »

Not too difficult to pack. Mine came from USA to Spain, wrapped in a thick foam sheet and put into a box. It arrived perfectly, though the cardboard box was pretty smashed. But these portables are sturdy, and the innards are well secured inside. A thick foam sheet or something to pack the turntable against the lid, filling the void space in the case, would still be better.
Inigo

Gramtastic
Victor III

Re: Black HMV102 No Longer for sale

Post by Gramtastic »

Sorry Neil, I have decided to keep it for spares after all.

neilmack
Victor II

Re: Black HMV102 No Longer for sale

Post by neilmack »

Gramtastic wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 8:28 am Sorry Neil, I have decided to keep it for spares after all.
That's OK, I didn't really need it!
All the best
Neil