For Sale: E.M.Ginn Expert Senior Gramophone

Buy, sell, or trade your phonograph-related items here
kirtley2012
Victor IV
Personal Text: Buyer of broken things

For Sale: E.M.Ginn Expert Senior Gramophone

Post by kirtley2012 »

Some personal happenings have brought me to start selling a few things, chief among which is my Expert Senior.

This Expert senior was bought (shortly before I acquired it) from the original family who were based in Taastrup, Denmark, the original family brought it to Denmark in the 1930's so it's likely that this Senior spent all of it's life in Denmark until I purchased it, for this reason I have always referred to it as Bjorn the horn.

This is a fine example of the Expert Senior, of course, 28" horn, it has it's original 4 spring Expert soundbox, it is an electric motor, fitted with a Collaro electric motor, this has been re-wired with a fresh power cable, the soundbox has also been rebuilt and tuned.

This one holds the address 64 Frith Street, which would date it to roughly 1936-39, a rare feature here is the original matching stand which the machine is sitting on, a very low stand, clearly ordered for a purpose by the original owner, perhaps to make the horn at head height while in an armchair, it's likely we will never truly know as with many of the quirks of these rare handmade gramophones.

The horn had previously suffered a split in the paper just above the casting, this has been restored, reinforced with fiberglass and is now almost invisible and is stronger than ever.

The asking price is £5,000 and it is based in North Shields in North East England.

Collection please unless you have a mover of your choice able to pick the machine up and blanket wrap it, I could package the soundbox to avoid damage, there is a chance of the machine finding it's way south but that would be in the near future if it were to happen.

Any questions send me a PM or email, equally any photos desired let me know, I will link some videos of the Expert in action, a sound quality to be expected!
DSC05535.JPG
DSC05521.JPG
DSC05536.JPG
DSC05537.JPG
DSC05522.JPG
DSC05524.JPG
DSC05523.JPG
DSC05525.JPG
DSC05526.JPG
DSC05532.JPG
DSC05543.JPG
DSC05533.JPG
DSC05534.JPG
Senior with Meltrope 3 Soundbox, Steel needle

(Double-click the video above or click this link to go to the video on YouTube.)

Senior with Expert 4 spring soundbox, Ebony needle, acoustic record

(Double-click the video above or click this link to go to the video on YouTube.)

Senior with Expert 4 spring, thorn needle, Venuti!

Senior with Expert 4 spring, thorn needle, Violin

Senior with Expert 4 spring, thorn

Orchorsol
Victor IV

Re: For Sale: E.M.Ginn Expert Senior Gramophone

Post by Orchorsol »

I sincerely hope it finds a good home Alex, and I feel a little sad you're having to move it on! I enjoyed having it here for a few weeks on its journey when you bought it. With EMG Mk Xb's (not Oversize) fetching way north of £8000 nowadays, and with the performance of an Expert Senior being more or less on a par (with a somewhat different and highly appealing 'flavour') this has to be a serious bargain, even with the repair - which I know has been done strongly and skilfully. Amongst the videos, the Joe Venuti REALLY shows it off well, to my ears.
BCN thorn needles made to the original 1920s specifications: http://www.burmesecolourneedles.com

Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCe4DNb ... TPE-zTAJGg?

gunnarthefeisty
Victor III
Personal Text: Started collecting in August 2020, small collection of records

Post by gunnarthefeisty »

Orchorsol wrote: Sun Oct 03, 2021 2:48 pm I sincerely hope it finds a good home Alex, and I feel a little sad you're having to move it on! I enjoyed having it here for a few weeks on its journey when you bought it. With EMG Mk Xb's (not Oversize) fetching way north of £8000 nowadays, and with the performance of an Expert Senior being more or less on a par (with a somewhat different and highly appealing 'flavour') this has to be a serious bargain, even with the repair - which I know has been done strongly and skilfully. Amongst the videos, the Joe Venuti REALLY shows it off well, to my ears.
wow, 8,000 dollars? And here I was thinking a Brunswick Cortez was expensive...

JerryVan
Victor Monarch Special

Post by JerryVan »

gunnarthefeisty wrote: Sun Oct 03, 2021 4:52 pm
Orchorsol wrote: Sun Oct 03, 2021 2:48 pm I sincerely hope it finds a good home Alex, and I feel a little sad you're having to move it on! I enjoyed having it here for a few weeks on its journey when you bought it. With EMG Mk Xb's (not Oversize) fetching way north of £8000 nowadays, and with the performance of an Expert Senior being more or less on a par (with a somewhat different and highly appealing 'flavour') this has to be a serious bargain, even with the repair - which I know has been done strongly and skilfully. Amongst the videos, the Joe Venuti REALLY shows it off well, to my ears.
wow, 8,000 dollars? And here I was thinking a Brunswick Cortez was expensive...
No.
8000 GBP.
That's $10,850.00.

gunnarthefeisty
Victor III

WOAH!
Forgot about conversion rates, but jeez!

gramophone-georg
Victor VI
Personal Text: Northwest Of Normal

Post by gramophone-georg »

gunnarthefeisty wrote: Sun Oct 03, 2021 9:13 pm WOAH!
The big time ain't cheap! ;) :D
"He who dies with the most shellac wins"- some nutty record geek

gunnarthefeisty
Victor III

gramophone-georg wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 12:04 am
gunnarthefeisty wrote: Sun Oct 03, 2021 9:13 pm WOAH!
The big time ain't cheap! ;) :D
I have to ask- are EMG machines really scarce? I cant imagine any phono being priced that high for JUST great sound quality.

epigramophone
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: An analogue relic trapped in a digital world.

Post by epigramophone »

This is a fair price for a private sale with no greedy auctioneers "Buyers Premium" to add, commonly up to 30% these days.

As to rarity, I know of no surviving production figures for Expert gramophones, but the late Frank James estimated that EMG produced about 1500 machines in total during the entire period of their existence.

Steve
Victor VI
Location: London, Paris, Amsterdam, Berlin, New York, Evesham

Post by Steve »

epigramophone wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 7:40 am This is a fair price for a private sale with no greedy auctioneers "Buyers Premium" to add, commonly up to 30% these days.

As to rarity, I know of no surviving production figures for Expert gramophones, but the late Frank James estimated that EMG produced about 1500 machines in total during the entire period of their existence.
Indeed. Compare that to production numbers for a Victor Credenza or 10-50. Ignoring the fact that no Victor machine can compare sound quality wise to the superior larger HMV re-entrants, whilst the largest models of EMG and Expert are much better again, both the HMVs and the EMG / Experts were made in the very low hundreds, not tens of thousands.

Ahmed
Victor I

Post by Ahmed »

A beautiful example and very well priced as Orchorsol said, specially given how much comparable models have sold for just a few months ago!

Getting mine was the best thing I ever did, so I sincerely hope it finds a good home. I am quite partial to the more open sound of the Expert compared to the EMGs to be honest! Endless enjoyment to be had.

... now do I need a 2nd one, hmmm :D