For Sale: E.M.Ginn Expert Senior Gramophone

Buy, sell, or trade your phonograph-related items here
dzavracky
Victor IV
Personal Text: college collector

Re: For Sale: E.M.Ginn Expert Senior Gramophone

Post by dzavracky »

If only it was here in Tennessee and I had the much spare money :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Best of luck with the sale!

David

gunnarthefeisty
Victor III
Personal Text: Started collecting in August 2020, small collection of records

Post by gunnarthefeisty »

I think what surprises me about the apparent rarity of these phonos is how many are seen on YouTube. I guess owners really love to show them off haha

kirtley2012
Victor IV
Personal Text: Buyer of broken things

Post by kirtley2012 »

gunnarthefeisty wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 4:43 pm I think what surprises me about the apparent rarity of these phonos is how many are seen on YouTube. I guess owners really love to show them off haha
They are rare things to be treasured and shared, and many owners do

Orchorsol
Victor IV

Post by Orchorsol »

gunnarthefeisty wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 4:43 pm I think what surprises me about the apparent rarity of these phonos is how many are seen on YouTube. I guess owners really love to show them off haha
I do feel I'm sharing the joy of mine, rather than showing them off (not meaning to seize unduly on your words though, Gunnar!).
BCN thorn needles made to the original 1920s specifications: http://www.burmesecolourneedles.com

Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCe4DNb ... TPE-zTAJGg?

gunnarthefeisty
Victor III
Personal Text: Started collecting in August 2020, small collection of records

Post by gunnarthefeisty »

Orchorsol wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 6:25 pm
I do feel I'm sharing the joy of mine, rather than showing them off (not meaning to seize unduly on your words though, Gunnar!).
Oh, I didn't mean that negatively! The more phono videos I can find, the better

Orchorsol
Victor IV

Post by Orchorsol »

gunnarthefeisty wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 6:59 pm
Orchorsol wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 6:25 pm
Oh, I didn't mean that negatively! The more phono videos I can find, the better
I didn't take it negatively! :D I like to affirm from time to time how I am with these things. In similar vein, I feel I'm a custodian enjoying and caring for them, as opposed feeling possessive over trophies or whatever... I find the pleasure is much greater that way too. And I do believe THEY like to show themselves off!

Again, I hope someone buys Alex's Expert - they will absolutely love it, guaranteed.
BCN thorn needles made to the original 1920s specifications: http://www.burmesecolourneedles.com

Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCe4DNb ... TPE-zTAJGg?

the padre304
Victor Jr

Post by the padre304 »

Steve wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 8:27 am
epigramophone wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 7:40 am This is a fair price for a private sale with no greedy auctioneers "Buyers Premium" to add, commonly up to 30% these days.

As to rarity, I know of no surviving production figures for Expert gramophones, but the late Frank James estimated that EMG produced about 1500 machines in total during the entire period of their existence.
Indeed. Compare that to production numbers for a Victor Credenza or 10-50. Ignoring the fact that no Victor machine can compare sound quality wise to the superior larger HMV re-entrants, whilst the largest models of EMG and Expert are much better again, both the HMVs and the EMG / Experts were made in the very low hundreds, not tens of thousands.
I sold my Credenza once I got my HMV 163 in oak. It is may favorite machine. I did replace the sound box both with a nickeled brass Victor sound box for instrumental music and I use a late RCA Victor "Orthophonic" reproducer for vocals. When the re-entrants came out here in America HMV came out with the sax horn machine, which I also have and love. But by the time HMV moved to the re-entrants Victor with RCA was concentrating on electrical reproduction.