WANTED: HMV "Silent Stylus" Needles, plus HMV Parts

Buy, sell, or trade your phonograph-related items here
gramophone-georg
Victor VI
Personal Text: Northwest Of Normal

WANTED: HMV "Silent Stylus" Needles, plus HMV Parts

Post by gramophone-georg »

I had some of these years ago and they made my Credenza sound great. Anyone have any for sale? I'd be interested in multiple NOS packages.

Also seeking both correct needle cups (one with cover, the other I believe is rounded bottom) as well as a nice turntable with great nickel and great original chocolate brown felt- as minty as possible. Finally, if someone has a minty correct tone arm already mounted to a minty black base, I'd be interested. These bits are for an HMV No. 32 gramophone.

And no, I'm not afraid of overseas shipping charges. They are what they are.

PM or email to tramandbixrule@yahoo.com. Thanks much!
"He who dies with the most shellac wins"- some nutty record geek

soundgen
Victor V

Re: WANTED: HMV "Silent Stylus" Needles, plus HMV Parts

Post by soundgen »

they were 100 play needles used for hypersensitive pick ups so must be harder than the shellac I wonder what they did to the records when played on your Credenza
Attachments
hmv silent stylus.jpeg
hmv silent stylus.jpeg (25.66 KiB) Viewed 1588 times
hmv silent stylus2.jpeg
hmv silent stylus2.jpeg (25.1 KiB) Viewed 1588 times

gramophone-georg
Victor VI

soundgen wrote: Sun Nov 14, 2021 11:51 am they were 100 play needles used for hypersensitive pick ups so must be harder than the shellac I wonder what they did to the records when played on your Credenza
Nothing but make them sound fantastic! I am primarily a record collector, and so am hyper cognizant of any wear issues and clean records frequently. I have a collection of fun but common records for testing as well. I also like my sound boxes in top condition with full compliance.

I need to look into fibre and Burmese Colour needles more as well.

gramophone-georg
Victor VI

soundgen wrote: Sun Nov 14, 2021 11:56 am You could have a go with these

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/254189742038 ... SwQItUJSD0
I actually have quite a few packs of NOS UK ones. To my ear, the Victor Chromiums are superior on the machines I use those on.

poodling around
Victor V

Post by poodling around »

soundgen wrote: Sun Nov 14, 2021 11:51 am they were 100 play needles used for hypersensitive pick ups so must be harder than the shellac I wonder what they did to the records when played on your Credenza
Oh, that's interesting.

Mine look similar to this but are slightly different. The wording for example. Are they the same ? No mention on mine about the 100 plays either. :?:

The needles look a bit weird too.
Attachments
weird.jpg

gramophone-georg
Victor VI

Needle cups have been found thanks to a forum member. Still looking for the rest. :D

Menophanes
Victor II

Post by Menophanes »

I have a few packets of the needles, but unfortunately they are inaccessible at the moment; I have just moved house and these, like many other things, have not yet emerged from where I packed them. They are very thin and very short, so that when using them in a normal sound-box one has to ensure that they are inserted only just far enough to be held by the needle-screw. I have only ever used one, in an H.M.V. No. 4 box; it played very well, with a surprising level of volume and less surface noise than usual, but it gave out after little more than twenty sides.

Oliver Mundy.

gramophone-georg
Victor VI

Hi Oliver- When you find them and if you are interested in selling them please let me know. i have gotten more than 20 sides out of them easily with a Wyatt Marcus- tuned Orthophonic soundbox.

gramophoneshane
Victor VI

Post by gramophoneshane »

It might be worth noting that "Columbia 99 needles" are exactly the same as HMV silent stylus, in case you run across those.
They also used the hypersensitive pick-up on Marconi branded players, so there's most likely a Marconi branded needle too, although I've never come across them.

I've actually got 2 boxes of the HMV and 1 of the Columbia, but they're all full boxes of 12 packets so don't really want to break them up.
I've seen full boxes turn up on eBay here occasionally, so it might be worth looking through the Australian auctions now and then. I haven't looked at eBay for a few years so can't give you a heads-up if some are listed unfortunately.

I know fellow Australian member Saxymojo had quite a few boxes of the HMV's a few years ago.
Marcel hasn't posted here for a long time, but it might be worth emailing him through his Gypsy leather website to ask if he has any left.
https://gypsyleather.com.au
Attachments
IMG_20220420_155533~2.jpg