Buy, sell, or trade your phonograph-related items here
Inigo
Victor VI
Personal Text: Keep'em well oiled

WANTED Aeolian Vocalion revolver tonearm

Post by Inigo »

I'm in desperate need of a new tonearm like this one
IMG_20211215_193648.jpg
I really need only the central part of the tonearm, the one that starts in a spherical joint and is straight, curving at the end in an elbow with set screw, to receive the soundbox Z elbow. The back bracket also would be great to have (mine is also broken).
I would also take a complete tonearm, if it's available.
Inigo

Lah Ca
Victor III

Re: WANTED Aeolian Vocalion revolver tonearm

Post by Lah Ca »

Member, Hoodoo, most kindly pointed out this site in Canada to me, The Gramophone Doctor.

Of interest they have done a refurb job on a Canadian-made (by licensed 3rd party manufacturer) Aeolian Vocalian upright cabinet gramophone, the refurb job including the replacement or repairing of a tone arm part. The part replaced (or repaired) in this job is not the one you are looking for, so perhaps the one you are looking for is in their stock? If so, you would need to get the part plated to match the brass look of yours (maybe).

See refurb job pics:

https://gramophonedoctor.ca/refurbish/aeolian-vocalion/

It is interesting that this machine is almost identical to mine. Every example of these particular machines I have seen is almost identical to any other example. Almost identical but not quite. Everything important is pretty much the same, but many details are not. Some of this may be because of repairs and restorations over the years. But I suspect that we are also looking at machines that were hand made, probably in workshops rather than production line factories, and as catalogues indicate, they were sometimes made to order. As cosmetic parts ran out they were probably replaced with what could easily and inexpensively be obtained. It may be the same as with early bespoke hand-made motor vehicles, no two of the same model ever quite the same?

Inigo
Victor VI

Post by Inigo »

Thanks for the info... I'll approach these people to see if they can sell the broken parts.
Inigo

Inigo
Victor VI

Post by Inigo »

Bump
I've contacted The Gramophone Doctor in Canada, but no response yet...
Still in need for it, watch the original post... please.
Thanks!
Inigo

Inigo
Victor VI

Re: FOUND *** Aeolian Vocalion revolver tonearm

Post by Inigo »

Thanks to a colleague addressing to Nix, Gramophone Doctor, who in turn, addressed me to Angelo Raffin in Ontario, Canada, who solved my problem!
Thanks all!
Inigo