NO LONGER WANTED - Working model C reproducer

Buy, sell, or trade your phonograph-related items here
Gramtastic
Victor III

NO LONGER WANTED - Working model C reproducer

Post by Gramtastic »

Hi, Anyone in the UK got a spare model C reproducer in working order they want to sell ?
Cheers
Last edited by Gramtastic on Fri Mar 11, 2022 4:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dulcetto
Victor II

Re: WANTED - Working model C reproducer

Post by Dulcetto »

With or without side arm ? with mica or copper diaphragm ? may be useful if you indicate your budget for this . I have several loose reproducers Regards

Gramtastic
Victor III

Post by Gramtastic »

Well, I though I just needed a bog standard C without side arm (either diaphragm) for an Edison Bell Gem I have just restored. However, I have now tried it with a C and B off other machines and both rub on the cylinder when lowered ! I can only assume , despite what everyone says, that the "New Model" reproducer IS different from the C...
It is odd though as I have an Edison Bell Standard which works fine with a C. The position of the reproducer over the mandrel is fixed so I don't see any way round this.
I guess I now need an even more difficult to find "New Model" !

Dulcetto
Victor II

Post by Dulcetto »

Gramtastic wrote: Mon Mar 07, 2022 5:08 am Well, I though I just needed a bog standard C without side arm (either diaphragm) for an Edison Bell Gem I have just restored. However, I have now tried it with a C and B off other machines and both rub on the cylinder when lowered ! I can only assume , despite what everyone says, that the "New Model" reproducer IS different from the C...
It is odd though as I have an Edison Bell Standard which works fine with a C. The position of the reproducer over the mandrel is fixed so I don't see any way round this.
I guess I now need an even more difficult to find "New Model" !
Yes , you will need a New Model reproducer. They are not the same as an Edison model C . The stylus in Edison - Bell reproducers is mounted differently to the Edison stylus bar , due to a variation in the angle of contact to the record surface in Edison Bell phonographs. The usage of the New Model reproducer is even more critical in the later EB models , the ELF , IMP ERA and DON. I suggest keep an eye out on ebay , as loose New Models do surface there every now and then , or do what I have done at least twice n the past -- look out in antique and collectors auctions for an Edison Bell phono in distressed or incomplete condition but still having the parts you need. I sourced a complete EB Gem motor that way , there was little left of the case of the phono , so it wasn't expensive as it didn't have much appeal for other bidders. You may have to wait a while , but I find that if I keep looking in the right places and often enough , most times I find what I want. I have a few spare Model C's but sorry no spare New Models a the moment .Good luck !

Gramtastic
Victor III

Post by Gramtastic »

Thanks for the confirmation that the New Model reproducer is different ! I will keep a look out for one now I know..... every day is indeed a school day !