Wanted. Back screw at the handle of HMV winding crank

Buy, sell, or trade your phonograph-related items here
JeffR1
Victor III

Re: Wanted. Back screw at the handle of HMV winding crank

Post by JeffR1 »

I have one, the outside of the nut is .312, which is 5/16.
The shaft where the handle slides onto measures up at .190 to .192 _ probably 3/16, that will give you an idea if yours is the same size.
I'm sure it is, why would Victor make them different sizes ?

PM with your address, I would want 10.00 Canadian dollars for it, and what ever shipping it would cost.
It's small enough to fit in a reinforced envelope, so it will go as such _ not a small package; that can get expensive.

I bought a crank for a Gramophone that I plane to build, and then a different motor came along, so I no longer need that crank.

The slot is pristine as I was very carful to find the exact flat blade to fit the slot, I usually end up grinding a screw driver to fit, but I didn't have to in this case.
Attachments
100_2907.JPG
100_2905.JPG

Inigo
Victor VI
Personal Text: Keep'em well oiled

Post by Inigo »

Ok, thanks. I'll check mine and come back later...
Inigo

Inigo
Victor VI

Post by Inigo »

Jeff; seems to be the same measure. But we must check the thread, which could be different!
I have no device for this, but I stained the thread with a pencil lead, then pressed on a paper, and measured eight marks in 6mm, what means seven threads in 6mm. This is 0.857 mm/thread, or 0.033746 inches, very similar to 30TPI. This seems a non-standard thread... ? I'm not versed in this matter, but it seems that any similar standard in America was 32TPI, not 30TPI.
Don't know if you can provide the measure of your cap nut, to see if it will fit. Being in Canada it could be the chance that your crank was HMV not VIctor, and could fit...
Inigo

JeffR1
Victor III

Post by JeffR1 »

I have many thread gauges, I will check, but I'm pretty sure it's the same, it would make no sense to change things, even between different countries.
The chances of it being a different left hand thread is pretty slim, given the fact that every other dimension is the same.

Inigo
Victor VI

Post by Inigo »

I hope so. But I ask because I've found many interchangeable parts between Victor and HMV, but others have differences...
Inigo

JeffR1
Victor III

Post by JeffR1 »

It's 30 TPI, so your first measurement is correct.

It is standard, but it's not used anymore _ there's 12/24 course thread and 12/28 fine thread, the 12/30 has slipped through the cracks.

Another odd thread that no one uses anymore is 6/40, everyone just uses 6/32.

I can find a 12/30 tap to cut threads, but nothing in a left hand thread.

At any rate the nut will fit your crank, don't force it on, your threads look rusty, use lots of oil and gently work it on and off until it threads on with your fingers.

Inigo
Victor VI

FOUND!. Back screw at the handle of HMV winding crank

Post by Inigo »

Yes, yes... I will have to clean the fillets with a fine brass or steel brush, they're filled with soft iron oxide.
PM you for more details...
Thanks
Inigo