Wanted: winding crank/handle(s)

Buy, sell, or trade your phonograph-related items here
anchorman
Victor II

Wanted: winding crank/handle(s)

Post by anchorman »

Wanted: winding crank for HMV 99 (also ought to fit some Columbia models). It has three grooves similar to the HMV 102 handle, but slightly smaller diameter Shaft. Needed for a Columbia 214 portable. Also looking for a spare HMV 102 handle. I don’t care about looks (no need for perfect plating or paint) so much as function.

Thanks!

anchorman
Victor II

Re: Wanted: winding crank/handle(s)

Post by anchorman »

I'm hoping to find one for a little bit less than that, and would prefer a wooden handle. But I may take you up on it eventually if nothing else turns up!

Phono48
Victor IV

Post by Phono48 »

There's a correct one here, and not cheap, but given that they are as rare as hen's teeth, I think it's a fair price.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/155131186226 ... R6aEzbaKYQ

anchorman
Victor II

Post by anchorman »

I saw that one too, but was hoping someone here had one in their pile of parts in the shed. The machine is not worth the price of the crank, really. I need to rebuild the entire case, and buy springs, along with repair the damage someone did to the screw holes that hold the barrels together. I may be smarter to just hold this as a parts machine, but if the parts show up in my life for cheap enough, it will be worth re-building the case (which is far enough gone I'm going to have to make a new one entirely, I think.

Sherazhyder
Victor I
Personal Text: Another Gramophone Enthusiast

Post by Sherazhyder »

Hi ! Let me suggest you a very cheap solution. Use a vernier caliper to measure the diameter of crank that goes in to the winding barrel; get a 3 inch long bolt of the specified diameter; check if it winds over the thread inside the winding barrel and if it works well; wield it to a bended piece of rod; size it and your crank is ready.
Measuring the diameter of a bolt hole
Measuring the diameter of a bolt hole
F5B31039-28C4-4BE2-854C-824F8FCBA2A1.png (6.37 KiB) Viewed 2826 times

anchorman
Victor II

Post by anchorman »

these have a special slotted crank, no threads. I could probably make one, but would rather buy if there is one available.