[SOLD]: HMV no. 31

Buy, sell, or trade your phonograph-related items here
Ahmed
Victor I

[SOLD]: HMV no. 31

Post by Ahmed »

My HMV 31 is looking for a new appreciative home.

Collection from Canterbury, or I can either work with a courier to get it to you within the UK or deliver it in person within a 90 min drive from Canterbury. Not keen on shipping it abroad.

Asking £750 for it
Attachments
PXL_20230211_205110434.jpg
PXL_20230211_205100011.jpg
Last edited by Ahmed on Mon Feb 13, 2023 2:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PeterF
Victor IV

Re: For Sale: HMV no. 31

Post by PeterF »

I’m on a different continent, and I already have a 31a.

But your posting sent me to investigate your YouTube channel, and I discovered the video of the “Lumi Attachment” there. Most interesting and it seems to sound quite good. Can you please share the particulars with us? Probably best to start a new thread for it here on the forum.

Thanks.

Orchorsol
Victor IV

Re: For Sale: HMV no. 31

Post by Orchorsol »

A great instrument at a nice price! Such a joy with these to be able to fit an EMG horn straight into the socket. I hope it finds a good home!
BCN thorn needles made to the original 1920s specifications: http://www.burmesecolourneedles.com

Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCe4DNb ... TPE-zTAJGg?

Ahmed
Victor I

Re: [SOLD]: HMV no. 31

Post by Ahmed »

@Orchorsol: It's a beautiful thing, and has found a very appreciative new home :)

@PeterF: Many thanks! I'll do a quick post about that one and some of the other bits I've been experimenting with

Orchorsol
Victor IV

Post by Orchorsol »

Wow, that was quick, congratulations on the sale!

Encouraging, as I might be moving towards selling my model 32.
BCN thorn needles made to the original 1920s specifications: http://www.burmesecolourneedles.com

Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCe4DNb ... TPE-zTAJGg?

PeterF
Victor IV

Post by PeterF »

Here are the details on the models being discussed. They are pretty cool.

The pages are excerpts from the UK counterpart of our Look For The Dog and Victor Data Book, which unlike them, is not available. Data for that book is shown below in case anyone wants to embark on a search for a copy, as well as serving as acknowledgment of the pages’ source.
Attachments
C8DE5715-6AA5-420C-89D9-3DD2338089D4.jpeg
20368335-3D34-4B71-B4B9-66026AA6B7C9.jpeg
20368335-3D34-4B71-B4B9-66026AA6B7C9.jpeg (34.18 KiB) Viewed 3363 times
0F8EFC10-EFFD-4745-88D7-24434F2474D5.jpeg
4F055273-EF2E-4C0E-AF68-B20FCB1E6EC6.jpeg
4918AC38-09A7-4828-BB03-446077CADB8A.jpeg
C5FE2D4B-E2FC-4449-B589-57C4A32A76D5.jpeg
Last edited by PeterF on Fri Feb 17, 2023 2:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

gramophoneshane
Victor VI

Post by gramophoneshane »

I hope these images aren't from a certain reference book without the source and author/s being mentioned, which is the very least you can do when publishing someone elses research and photos to the internet.
I think both George and Christopher would agree.

I don't see say a 1923 catalogue being an issue, or perhaps even a single image with details that's been cherry picked off a page of several, but I think when it's a full page or full section of someone's blood sweat and tears, it's the right and polite thing to do, to include the book title and author.
If you like going to extremes, it doesn't hurt to throw in the publisher and ISBN number (if applicable) as well.

PeterF
Victor IV

Post by PeterF »

If the book was available, this might be more of an issue. But it’s long out of print and nobody’s income will be impacted. If this forum isn’t about sharing information, about a hobby involving long gone obsolete objects, then the next step is to copyright each and every one of our own posts here, and disable the quotation function.

If you’re pals with the authors, please ask them for their thoughts on sharing information. And while you’re at it, ask them about reprinting the book or maybe making it available online - paid or unpaid.

I’m not going to get into any discussion of copyright or legal issues on any of this, by the way, so let’s not get started on that please.

gramophoneshane
Victor VI

Post by gramophoneshane »

PeterF wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 2:23 pm If the book was available, this might be more of an issue. But it’s long out of print and nobody’s income will be impacted. If this forum isn’t about sharing information, about a hobby involving long gone obsolete objects, then the next step is to copyright each and every one of our own posts here, and disable the quotation function.

If you’re pals with the authors, please ask them for their thoughts on sharing information. And while you’re at it, ask them about reprinting the book or maybe making it available online - paid or unpaid.

I’m not going to get into any discussion of copyright or legal issues on any of this, by the way, so let’s not get started on that please.
Well, I'm sorry you feel that way and think it's related to money or legal issues when it's simply about respect.

These gentlemen have contributed more to this hobby around the world, than either you or I could ever hope to contribute in 2 lifetimes, and they continue to do so on this forum, and I think they deserve acknowledgement when we are basically plagiarizing their work in our posts, whether they want it or not.
I guess common courtesy just isn't that common anymore.

And no, if my interactions with Christopher, George or Tim and others here on the forum makes us pals, then I've got an awful lot of friends I've never met Pete ol' pal ;)
But there's nothing stopping you from messaging them with your requests.
Funny thing about online books, paid or unpaid, is you click on the link and first thing you're met with is the book's title and it's authors name.

gramophone-georg
Victor VI
Personal Text: Northwest Of Normal

Post by gramophone-georg »

gramophoneshane wrote: Sat Feb 18, 2023 4:55 am
PeterF wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 2:23 pm If the book was available, this might be more of an issue. But it’s long out of print and nobody’s income will be impacted. If this forum isn’t about sharing information, about a hobby involving long gone obsolete objects, then the next step is to copyright each and every one of our own posts here, and disable the quotation function.

Well, I'm sorry you feel that way and think it's related to money or legal issues when it's simply about respect.

These gentlemen have contributed more to this hobby around the world, than either you or I could ever hope to contribute in 2 lifetimes, and they continue to do so on this forum, and I think they deserve acknowledgement when we are basically plagiarizing their work in our posts, whether they want it or not.
I guess common courtesy just isn't that common anymore.

And no, if my interactions with Christopher, George or Tim and others here on the forum makes us pals, then I've got an awful lot of friends I've never met Pete ol' pal ;)
But there's nothing stopping you from messaging them with your requests.
Funny thing about online books, paid or unpaid, is you click on the link and first thing you're met with is the book's title and it's authors name.
In all fairness, Peter's post above DOES cite the source and authors right off. Pete's not plagarising at all- he is citing.
"He who dies with the most shellac wins"- some nutty record geek