[SOLD]: HMV no. 31

Buy, sell, or trade your phonograph-related items here
gramophoneshane
Victor VI

Re: [SOLD]: HMV no. 31

Post by gramophoneshane »

gramophone-georg wrote: Sat Feb 18, 2023 3:59 pm
gramophoneshane wrote: Sat Feb 18, 2023 4:55 am
PeterF wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 2:23 pm If the book was available, this might be more of an issue. But it’s long out of print and nobody’s income will be impacted. If this forum isn’t about sharing information, about a hobby involving long gone obsolete objects, then the next step is to copyright each and every one of our own posts here, and disable the quotation function.

If you’re pals with the authors, please ask them for their thoughts on sharing information. And while you’re at it, ask them about reprinting the book or maybe making it available online - paid or unpaid.

I’m not going to get into any discussion of copyright or legal issues on any of this, by the way, so let’s not get started on that please.
Well, I'm sorry you feel that way and think it's related to money or legal issues when it's simply about respect.

These gentlemen have contributed more to this hobby around the world, than either you or I could ever hope to contribute in 2 lifetimes, and they continue to do so on this forum, and I think they deserve acknowledgement when we are basically plagiarizing their work in our posts, whether they want it or not.
I guess common courtesy just isn't that common anymore.

And no, if my interactions with Christopher, George or Tim and others here on the forum makes us pals, then I've got an awful lot of friends I've never met Pete ol' pal ;)
But there's nothing stopping you from messaging them with your requests.
Funny thing about online books, paid or unpaid, is you click on the link and first thing you're met with is the book's title and it's authors name.
In all fairness, Peter's post above DOES cite the source and authors right off. Pete's not plagarising at all- he is citing.
He edited it after I initially brought up the subject, so I all fairness, he hadn't cited anything.

gramophone-georg
Victor VI
Personal Text: Northwest Of Normal

Post by gramophone-georg »

gramophoneshane wrote: Sat Feb 18, 2023 10:34 pm
gramophone-georg wrote: Sat Feb 18, 2023 3:59 pm
gramophoneshane wrote: Sat Feb 18, 2023 4:55 am
Well, I'm sorry you feel that way and think it's related to money or legal issues when it's simply about respect.

These gentlemen have contributed more to this hobby around the world, than either you or I could ever hope to contribute in 2 lifetimes, and they continue to do so on this forum, and I think they deserve acknowledgement when we are basically plagiarizing their work in our posts, whether they want it or not.
I guess common courtesy just isn't that common anymore.

And no, if my interactions with Christopher, George or Tim and others here on the forum makes us pals, then I've got an awful lot of friends I've never met Pete ol' pal ;)
But there's nothing stopping you from messaging them with your requests.
Funny thing about online books, paid or unpaid, is you click on the link and first thing you're met with is the book's title and it's authors name.
In all fairness, Peter's post above DOES cite the source and authors right off. Pete's not plagarising at all- he is citing.
He edited it after I initially brought up the subject, so I all fairness, he hadn't cited anything.
Did he claim the info as his own?
Of course not.

He posted info pertinent to the subject at hand is all. Good grief. :roll:
"He who dies with the most shellac wins"- some nutty record geek

gramophoneshane
Victor VI

Post by gramophoneshane »

Good grief indeed.
It's easy to see you this forum has fallen into such decline when people can't be bothered doing the right and simplest things, like citing a book from which they've extracted pages of information, or following the simplest rules like those for the wanker traders section.
If I could delete my account here I would.
But I kind of doubt this forum will survive more than a couple more years anyhow, so goodbye gentlemen, I won't be back, but it's been a pleasure :roll: