Marconiphone 563 with two small blemishes

Buy, sell, or trade your phonograph-related items here
HMV_Electrola
Victor Jr

Marconiphone 563 with two small blemishes

Post by HMV_Electrola »

Dear all,

my latest acquisition is a Marconiphone 563, from 1937. The individual components work perfectly and the sound is stunning, due to the bass and brilliance controls.

However, the beautiful machine has two blemishes…

I cannot find a new/old pilot lamp for the scale of the radio. It has to be a lamp (a long tube, frosted glas) with a bayonet socket (220V/15W)…

The other problem is to find a replacement for the original turntable. The weight is 1,4 kg and the material is cast… maybe, you know the problem with cast? The turntable, of my radiogram is unfortunately deformed ne has to be replaced.

I hope, that someone can give me a tip, how to fix these blemishes, or has a matching pilot lamp or one of those heavy turntables lying around?

Thanks and best regards

Martin

Otherwise, I am still looking for an HMV 660 radiogram ;)
83166143-0047-40DC-8859-92652C57347D.jpeg
B7323321-3F84-4E7F-9830-65BBDC32760C.jpeg
IMG_2644.jpeg
IMG_2835.jpeg

Curt A
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Needle Tins are Addictive

Re: Marconiphone 563 with two small blemishes

Post by Curt A »

Why not rewire and upgrade the socket to accept a modern bulb?

Is the turntable pic yours? If so, what is deformed?
"The phonograph† is not of any commercial value."
Thomas Alva Edison - Comment to his assistant, Samuel Insull.

"No one needs a Victrola XX, a Perfected Graphophone Type G, or whatever you call those noisy things."
My Wife

HMV_Electrola
Victor Jr

Post by HMV_Electrola »

Hi Curt,
thanks for your message. I want to keep the radiogram as original as possible, so I'm trying to find one of the original lamps. The turntable I s the one that comes with the unit, but unfortunately, it is warped down at the edges.
Best regards
Martin

pallophotophone
Victor II

Post by pallophotophone »

Can you find the same shape voltage and wattage bulb but with a screw base- carefully remove the screw base as you won't need it again but you don't want to break your new bulb -desolder the leads from your good bulb base- carefully break your old bulb free from your good base- then use a good glue to attach your good bulb to your base and at the same time, resolder the leads to your base contacts? Sounds complicated I know, but i've done it before.
A picture of your old bulb, measurements, and the bottom of the base would be welcomed

Curt A
Victor Monarch Special

Post by Curt A »

Martin,
Some things are not currently made to fit obsolete electronics, but maybe I'm wrong. Check an antique radio collectors site and inquire or follow the path of connecting the old bulb socket with a modern bulb as suggested. If that doesn't work, rewiring the socket may be your only choice and I doubt that it would take away from your machine.

What does the bulb illuminate anyway?

An idea for your turntable (since finding an original is probably unlikely) is to place it on a belt sander and sand the warp flat. If necessary, a piece of sheet metal could be cut and epoxied to the top before putting new felt in place... no one would ever see the repair.
Last edited by Curt A on Tue Aug 01, 2023 9:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

"No one needs a Victrola XX, a Perfected Graphophone Type G, or whatever you call those noisy things."
My Wife

Curt A
Victor Monarch Special

Post by Curt A »

https://www.radiomuseum.org
Screenshot 2023-08-01 at 9.17.35 PM.png
Screenshot 2023-08-01 at 9.17.35 PM.png (608.99 KiB) Viewed 2379 times

My Wife

HMV_Electrola
Victor Jr

Post by HMV_Electrola »

Dear pallophotophone,
thanks for the tip about the lamp rework, but unfortunately that's too complicated for me. I've tried everything, with adapters for the socket and different bulbs. The original pilot lamp, which unfortunately was no longer in the radiogram, must have been around 15 cm long and illuminating the complete radio dial. Now I've put in a short lightbulb. Maybe, someday I will get the original one, or I use a second socket?
Tanks a lot!
Martin
IMG_2836.jpeg
IMG_2835.jpeg

HMV_Electrola
Victor Jr

Post by HMV_Electrola »

Hi Curt,
sanding down the turntable is a good idea, I'll try that.
I also wanted to have made a new one, but in Germany we will soon have no longer any craftsmen and those who still work have no talent for special new work. bad times...

pallophotophone
Victor II

Post by pallophotophone »

HMV_Electrola wrote: Wed Aug 02, 2023 1:20 pm Dear pallophotophone,
thanks for the tip about the lamp rework, but unfortunately that's too complicated for me. I've tried everything, with adapters for the socket and different bulbs. The original pilot lamp, which unfortunately was no longer in the radiogram, must have been around 15 cm long and illuminating the complete radio dial. Now I've put in a short lightbulb. Maybe, someday I will get the original one, or I use a second socket?
Tanks a lot!
Martin
IMG_2836.jpeg
IMG_2835.jpeg
If you like to send me one of your old bulbs- your choice- I could give it a try. I'd genuinely welcome a little challenge !! But if it looked as though I couldn't do it successfully , I'd send it back to you intact

Cordially,

Bob

Curt A
Victor Monarch Special

Post by Curt A »

This is a link to a 20 watt bayonet base bulb, which is approx. 13.7 cm long. The only problem is that it is 130 volts. You would need a voltage converter IF your socket is using a full 220 volts.

https://www.1000bulbs.com/product/54252 ... S3297.html

Screenshot 2023-08-03 at 11.59.50 AM.png

My Wife