WANTED: Penny-in-slot Gramophone Co. parts

Buy, sell, or trade your phonograph-related items here
Adamp1gramophone
Victor Jr

WANTED: Penny-in-slot Gramophone Co. parts

Post by Adamp1gramophone »

I recently acquired an 1899 penny-in-slot Gramophone Co machine. It has a repro horn, elbow, travel arm, Clark-Johnson soundbox and winding handle. The needle holder is missing. Please let me know if you have any of these for sale (long shot, I know). The parts are the same as those used on the Trademark, making it easier to source. I am based in the UK.

Needed:
- Horn (same as used on many different machines - including the Trademark)
- Elbow
- Travel arm (again, same as used on the Trademark)
- Clark-Johnson soundbox
- Winding handle (same as on the Trademark)
- Needle bowl
Attachments
tempImageT3yT09.gif
tempImageTyCEM3.gif
tempImageNFHCtR.gif
tempImageJSF9H6.gif
tempImagec3UFEm.gif

Steve
Victor VI
Location: London, Paris, Amsterdam, Berlin, New York, Evesham

Re: WANTED: Penny-in-slot Gramophone Co. parts

Post by Steve »

Well, at least you don't need any money! ;)

There is a Trademark machine being offered periodically for sale on Ebay. It has the parts you require but isn't cheap although in my opinion the machine you have there would more than justify the substitution of the pricey parts on offer, rather than someone buying the Trademark outright to keep as it is. The seller also has an over-priced Expert soundbox and a very highly priced G & T Senior Monarch on a pedestal with brass horn. He has a New Style 3A too. None of these items have sold over the past 3-4 years. Look out for them to reappear!

Adamp1gramophone
Victor Jr

I'm telling my friends it costs £50 to make it play...

I've seen that. I'm not sure I have the heart to break up a machine! I think I will play the waiting game and see if anything turns up! I've not reached out to many people yet.

Steve
Victor VI
Location: London, Paris, Amsterdam, Berlin, New York, Evesham

Post by Steve »

Adamp1gramophone wrote: Tue Aug 22, 2023 5:22 pm I'm telling my friends it costs £50 to make it play...

I've seen that. I'm not sure I have the heart to break up a machine! I think I will play the waiting game and see if anything turns up! I've not reached out to many people yet.
I used to feel EXACTLY the same way but I'm not quite as sentimental about the items these days as I recognise they are mass produced and the parts are mostly identical and interchangeable between machines. The arm, horn and soundbox on that Trademark might have just as easily been placed on your coin-op instead, so where's the harm? If you have to modify the item to get it to fit or work, then I'd agree more. I've wrestled with this "blind spot" for years but it's steadily reducing! In fact I've just sold a parted out machine to help restore 3 others to full working condition.

The other option of course would be to buy that Trademark and then keep both machines so you've both restored the coin-op and maximised the benefit of the parts all being original on it and at the same time, you're not really separating the Trademark from the original parts; they're just being indefinitely "borrowed" by the superior machine in the same household. The problem only really kicks in if you want to sell the lesser of the two machines. Then you're back to the same old dilemma!

Curt A
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Needle Tins are Addictive

Post by Curt A »

I recently "sacrificed" my not completely original Trademark Berliner for exactly this same restoration of a coin-op DGAG model. I would rather see a scarce machine completed than keep a not-so-great machine intact. I wrestled with the question for a short time and decided to trade it to my friend to complete his machine and I have no regrets. This same decision wouldn't have been made if my Trademark was in original pristine condition.

Curt

Coin-op.png
"The phonograph† is not of any commercial value."
Thomas Alva Edison - Comment to his assistant, Samuel Insull.

"No one needs a Victrola XX, a Perfected Graphophone Type G, or whatever you call those noisy things."
My Wife

Adamp1gramophone
Victor Jr

Excellent points from you both! I like the thought process Steve. I suppose I will wait to see what comes up next. You never know… I might get lucky and find a parts machine!!

Garret
Victor IV

Post by Garret »

Curt A wrote: Wed Aug 23, 2023 1:23 pm I recently "sacrificed" my not completely original Trademark Berliner for exactly this same restoration of a coin-op DGAG model. I would rather see a scarce machine completed than keep a not-so-great machine intact. I wrestled with the question for a short time and decided to trade it to my friend to complete his machine and I have no regrets. This same decision wouldn't have been made if my Trademark was in original pristine condition.

Curt

Coin-op.png
Wow. You certainly won't see that every day.

Starkton
Victor IV

Post by Starkton »

[quote="Curt A" post_id=333642 time=1692811409 user_id=964]
This same decision wouldn't have been made if my Trademark was in original pristine condition.
[/quote]
... or if the coin-op gramophone would bring less on the market.

Garret
Victor IV

Post by Garret »

Starkton wrote: Wed Sep 06, 2023 6:54 am
Curt A wrote: Wed Aug 23, 2023 1:23 pm This same decision wouldn't have been made if my Trademark was in original pristine condition.
... or if the coin-op gramophone would bring less on the market.
Yup.