WANTED: DGG Chatuelle Nr 3 Parts

Buy, sell, or trade your phonograph-related items here
gramophone-georg
Victor Monarch
Personal Text: Northwest Of Normal

WANTED: DGG Chatuelle Nr 3 Parts

Post by gramophone-georg »

Long shot:
I have one of these machines that has some damaged/ mismatched parts. I'm seeking a horn (Trichter) as mine has 4 ugly soldered repairs. It's zinc with a blood orange (ish) paint on the inside. I also need a DGAG Concert soundbox, long throat. Mine has a G&T soundbox similar to a Berliner, but I think it's for the later upright rather than flat trailing arm as it came with an extension installed.

Here's an excellent example of the machine in question:
https://grammophon-platten.de/print.php ... orum.45995

It's a shame that the machine has these issues, but it's a scarce machine that runs well and is otherwise in nice condition, so I'd like to get it to 100%. The trailing arm also seems a bit too short but I can correct this by making one from a spruce piece and stain to match.

I do not mind repainting the inside of the horn, polishing it, or rebuilding/ re- plating the sound box. Doubtless both were shared with other models. I would not mind an upgrade with a DGG version of the long throat "Exhibition", either.

Please let me know what you have with shipping to USA if possible. If anyone can connect me with someone who has nice examples of these parts, I'd gladly pay a finder's fee. If you need the soundbox I have, I'd be open to trading or selling once I find a replacement. Thanks!
"He who dies with the most shellac wins"- some nutty record geek

Curt A
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Needle Tins are Addictive

Re: WANTED: DGG Chatuelle Nr 3 Parts

Post by Curt A »

That is a great looking machine.

Regarding the solder repairs, can you post a pic of what they look like? It sounds like they were done with the wrong type of solder or not enough flux and heat. They might be able to be corrected by reheating them and brushing them with paste flux, like Nokorode (not liquid). While hot try to remove as much solder as possible. If it smears, the excess can be buffed off. If they need new solder, use 60/40 for repairs - never use acid core or non-lead solder on anything important.
"The phonograph† is not of any commercial value."
Thomas Alva Edison - Comment to his assistant, Samuel Insull.

"No one needs a Victrola XX, a Perfected Graphophone Type G, or whatever you call those noisy things."
My Wife

gramophone-georg
Victor Monarch

Curt-
WHAT?! No WD-40? Is nothing sacred anymore? :lol:

But seriously- I was sort of thinking along the same lines as a back up plan on the horn. I am honestly not even sure why the solder is there because it does not seem as if there are holes. It looks like radiator solder honestly.

I may melt this off when I get time and go from there. If I need to resolder I'd use a silver solder. If I get it halfway decent I may send the horn to John and have it rolled/ straightened/ polished, then paint the inside of the cone when I get it back.

I am just trying to take the lazy man's way out here... throw money at it. :D

gramophone-georg
Victor Monarch

Photos
Attachments
IMG_4047.JPG
IMG_4046.JPG
IMG_4045.JPG
IMG_4044.JPG

Curt A
Victor Monarch Special

Post by Curt A »

It looks like someone decided that it needed a strap hanger - hence the two evenly spaced solder spots. If there is not a hole visible after removing the solder the remainder may just buff off. Send it to John, he may have a better way to remove it. It looks to be a very nice horn and probably difficult to find another original.

I've always wondered where these have been and how they survived two welt kriegs...

You can also use WD40 on it if you are compelled to do so...

"No one needs a Victrola XX, a Perfected Graphophone Type G, or whatever you call those noisy things."
My Wife

Curt A
Victor Monarch Special

Post by Curt A »

My Wife

JerryVan
Victor Monarch Special

Post by JerryVan »

If any resoldering is needed I would not use silver solder, as previously mentioned. The needed temperature to flow silver solder will likely burn through the horn. There's likely nothing wrong with the solder that was used. The problem was in the sloppy application. The link to the original example of this machine does not seem to show any need for soldering anything. What's the solder about anyway?

gramophone-georg
Victor Monarch

JerryVan wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2023 6:34 am If any resoldering is needed I would not use silver solder, as previously mentioned. The needed temperature to flow silver solder will likely burn through the horn. There's likely nothing wrong with the solder that was used. The problem was in the sloppy application. The link to the original example of this machine does not seem to show any need for soldering anything. What's the solder about anyway?
No idea. I got it like this. I assumed there were holes in the horn but the solder does not go through.

Curt A
Victor Monarch Special

Post by Curt A »

Obviously, something was crudely attached there. That's what made me think of a "strap" hanger ( a flat piece of metal shaped like a handle) - as found on early horns. Maybe someone thought a horn crane was necessary for whatever reason.

My Wife

gramophone-georg
Victor Monarch

Curt A wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2023 2:52 am Obviously, something was crudely attached there. That's what made me think of a "strap" hanger ( a flat piece of metal shaped like a handle) - as found on early horns. Maybe someone thought a horn crane was necessary for whatever reason.
I am thinking that you are likely correct.