WANTED: Cylinder Reamer

Buy, sell, or trade your phonograph-related items here
zapper
Victor II

WANTED: Cylinder Reamer

Post by zapper »

Hi All
Has anyone in the UK got a spare cylinder reamer willing to sell. I have a few Blue Amberols which do not fit on the mandrel.
Regards Brian (zapper)

epigramophone
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: An analogue relic trapped in a digital world.

Re: WANTED: Cylinder Reamer

Post by epigramophone »

You may have discovered, as I did, that all the reamers for sale on eBay are in the USA, and that their sellers do not post to the UK.
I had to wait until someone I knew was visiting the USA. I bought the reamer and had it delivered to the address where he was staying. He then brought it back to the UK in his hand luggage.

jamiegramo
Victor III

Post by jamiegramo »

I had this problem too so I removed a mandrel from a phonograph and using a lathe a local woodworker copied it. It has extra length to act as handle. I then stuck strips of heavy duty abrasive paper along the length. Strips from a power sander belt will last a long time. You could even use a mandrel spare part.

He refused to charge me! Why? Just after world war 2 his brother bought a large house that needed clearing. One room was as enormous library of cylinder records which he helped his brother clear and destroy. A lot of work. They considered them obsolete at the time but he always felt guilty about it so wouldn’t charge me for this cylinder record project.

Inigo
Victor VI
Personal Text: Keep'em well oiled

Post by Inigo »

Marvelous... and horrible!!! I've listened to similar stories about 78rpm dealers clearing houses with full libraries of them... too much for my imagination. I get sick every time I think of those...
It's the passing of times and things... unavoidable destruction...
Inigo