605484 Joe Jones Tangential Tracking

Discussion of patents relevant to the music and machines addressed by this forum.
JohnM
Victor V

605484 Joe Jones Tangential Tracking

Post by JohnM »

The infamous Joseph W. Jones strikes again!
DBFBDF68-0171-4F0B-8DF1-6772BFF56785.jpeg
Attachments
577AF4E3-F024-45E3-B022-0FA5FBD41B1A.jpeg
"All of us have a place in history. Mine is clouds." Richard Brautigan

Hoodoo
Victor O

Re: 605484 Joe Jones Tangential Tracking

Post by Hoodoo »

Why did tangential tracking not catch on back then, or maybe a better question would be why did manufacturers not care about good tracking?
My various gramophones have/had tracking errors approaching 20 degrees at the worst points of the tonearm swing. I endeavour to correct these when possible.
Designing a tonearm that tracks well is not all that difficult and would cost little, if any, more than a poorly executed design.

Inigo
Victor VI
Personal Text: Keep'em well oiled

Re: 605484 Joe Jones Tangential Tracking

Post by Inigo »

Aha! That's the eternal problem of many many beautiful machines, which I cannot suffer, because of that you've said... It was so easy from the beginning to have designed it well....! They only would have needed to pay attention to that! But this is story, and cannot change.
Even the hmv 101 and 102 have bad, and terrible, respectively, track alignments. Hmv did a good work with the grand machines, though.
And the beautiful Columbia 113a? Brother to the US Columbia 161 and 163, although these had different tonearms than their UK brothers. Such a beauty with that terrible alignment... I cannot suffer it... It's so easy to correct giving a certain collection angle to the soundbox... But...! :shock:
Inigo