Selling a copy that never was...from "The Shining"

Discussion of patents relevant to the music and machines addressed by this forum.
SittingRabbit
Victor I

Selling a copy that never was...from "The Shining"

Post by SittingRabbit »

Hello all,

I have this song that to the best of my knowledge and limited research, was never made on shellac. It was recorded in 1931/32, then released in the early 70s. It was used in the movie, "The Shining". Does anyone know anything about it? I'd love to be schooled on it.

"Home" by Henry Hall and the Gleneagles Hotel Band, with Maurice Elwin on vocals.

I had this made into a record that is of composite material, several copies. I'd like to sell some of them but don't know about the repercussions since it technically is a "copy". These copies are literally indestructible.

Any help, suggestions, etc would greatly be appreciated!
Attachments
20221012_195232.mp4
(367.75 MiB) Downloaded 118 times

IainW
Victor O

Re: Selling a copy that never was...from "The Shining"

Post by IainW »

According to Brian Rust / British Dance Bands on Record, 'Home' by Henry Hall, vocal Maurice Elwin, was recorded 10th Jan 1932, matrix No. GB-3803-2, not released at the time and released on Decca LP DDV-5001. Hope this helps.
Iain

IainW
Victor O

Post by IainW »

Just to add to the above, according to Rust, although the Henry Hall version was not released on 78 there were a load of versions that were. Entry in index reads Home (H & J Clarkson - Peter van Steeden )(1931) then goes on to list the page numbers of all the other bands that recorded it.
Ambrose HMV B-6134
Harry Bidgood Bcst 3157
Filmophone House Band Film 423
Bert & John Firman Zono -6054
Freddy Gardner Dec MW-297
Jack Hylton Dec F-2796
Jack Payne Regal MR-519
Harry Roy Orial P-106
Savoy Orpheans Col CB-409
Ray Starita Sterno -879
White Star Syncopators Pic-901

CharliePhono
Victor III
Personal Text: "The kerosene record player is not a very efficient device." ~Frank Zappa

Post by CharliePhono »

SittingRabbit wrote: Sat Oct 22, 2022 11:00 am Hello all,

I have this song that to the best of my knowledge and limited research, was never made on shellac. It was recorded in 1931/32, then released in the early 70s. It was used in the movie, "The Shining". Does anyone know anything about it? I'd love to be schooled on it.

"Home" by Henry Hall and the Gleneagles Hotel Band, with Maurice Elwin on vocals.

I had this made into a record that is of composite material, several copies. I'd like to sell some of them but don't know about the repercussions since it technically is a "copy". These copies are literally indestructible.

Any help, suggestions, etc would greatly be appreciated!
I would be interested in one of the copies, if sellable. Thanks!

SittingRabbit
Victor I

Post by SittingRabbit »

Thank you for the info! Yes, I've come across other recordings of this song, but not of the Henry Hall with Maurice Elwin version that was featured on The Shining.

Considering how Midnight, The Stars and You by Al Bowlly, one of the 2 songs tha that were featured in The Shining around the 1920s/30s like the movie was trying to reflect, goes usually for $500+ on ebay, and thousands of copies of that record were produced by various record labels. I think the minimum I should take would be $300. It cost me over $300 to have these made, took many months to complete, and was told that "discs are handmade and moulded on a one a day basis", and was made by Vulcan Records.

VanEpsFan1914
Victor VI
Personal Text: I've got both kinds of music--classical & rag-time.

Post by VanEpsFan1914 »

Sounds like a fun record, I'm curious about how this project stays going.